• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580B fuel tank removal

yasmar

How does the fuel tank come off? Forward it hits the valve cover,
backward it hits the steering column. Above it is a lighter metal "tube"
running between the loader arms...can this be cut and welded? It looks
more like a spacer between the arms.

Phil

Occupation
retired operator and mechanic
I managed to get a 580B tank out through the front once but it had the top bent down somewhat. I've never had that tube out but I think it is a spacer. I believe the pin inside goes straight through, sometimes they break and I've noticed a long threaded rod used to hold them together. Can't help you there.

There are 4 bolts/studs that hold the steering column down on the torque tube. The front right one is hard to get at and sometimes I've cut it with a torch and repaired it later. Anyway, I believe with some hardware disconnected and a rope from the steering wheel to the top of the cab, the column will slide back on it's 'feet' quite easily. This unit is very heavy. The tank studs can be unscrewed by double nutting them, if needed. Maybe this would work.

If you end up splitting the tractor and want access to both the pump compartment and the shuttle compartment, then the column can be left hanging from the cab. Phil

yasmar

I'm hoping to avoid splitting the tractor...I'm assuming I can get the shuttle pump out the top of the shuttle tub with the fuel tank removed?

Phil

Occupation
I just went outside and looked at the B I have in the yard. If you want to remove the tank, it has to slide out the front. Either remove the loader frame spacer tube and pin( I've never done this); or look at the possibility of removing the valve cover and part of the rocker arm assembly to gain enough clearance to slide it forward. I still believe the cover can be removed with the tank on, the steering column may have to slide to the rear, and possibly removing the valve body, hydraulic return line, and maybe the steering valve. The cover needs to come up 4 or 5 inches to clear the pump and at that point I think you could reach in and unbolt the pick-up tube. I always replace all the gaskets sandwiched in the valve body and check the valves. This in itself is alot of work if the gaskets tear and care must be taken not to lose the detent ball on assembly. All the gaskets are available from Case. I'm assuming you have concluded that the pump has to come out? Phil

yasmar

Everything so far points to the pump. I'm going to put together a pressure gauge to test it at the filter housing. There wasn't a trans filter in it and the fluid was full of water. I've replaced the fluid/filter and I'm going to fire it up this weekend to test the pump that's there. The Previous Owner said the pump was bad...

I'm not opposed to deforming the tank and replacing it with something else. I'm going to try spreading the arms and removing the spacer tube/rod first. Any idea how far that spacer tube fits into the arm?

Phil

Occupation
I don't think it's in there more than an inch, but I'm guessing.The one on my B is loose. I think you will have to slide the big pin out and maybe support the loader arms. I don't know if any of the loader frame bolts will have to be loosened or not. Let us know how it goes. Phil:)

tmann

How does the fuel tank come off? Forward it hits the valve cover,
backward it hits the steering column. Above it is a lighter metal "tube"
running between the loader arms...can this be cut and welded? It looks
more like a spacer between the arms.
This is how I made it simple.cross-tube-removel-580b.jpg

Juskatla

Occupation
Retired
This thread is 12 yrs old, so I hope the OP has figured it out by now. The simple way is to remove the pivot shaft fro the loader arms, loosen the bolts holding the load frame to the front mount and use some blocks and a hydraulic jack to spread the tops of the loader arms. The tube will come out and the tank can be lifted straight up. Reverse the process to replace the cross tube. There are a couple of metal hydraulic lines that have to be removed to clear the way.

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
If you are just changing the shuttle pump there is no need in pulling the fuel tank. You can replace it by jacking the steering column by unbolting it and using a come-along to pull it up. remove the valve and then the base plate put a 2x4 under base plate to support it and remove suction tube and pump pull plate out of the way and then you can get pump and tube out.