• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580B shuttle pump...

a2btransport

thanks for that i pulled the scuck tube out hoping to find it all blocked up but previous owner has pulled the gauze off the end compleatly the tractor is slugish in foward and reverse so now i am spliting it to pull the clutch packs appart does any one know what to look for appart from worn out plates...... like oil gallairies etc.??? also looking at pulling out the converter and seeing whats inside anyone done that before ???? i will post pics up soon of the tractor comming appart and internal stuff aswell this fourm is so good im glad i found it while its appart i want to check everthing so any advice would be great thank you look foward to hering from you guys

dwloop

If the suction tube screen has been removed I would disassemble and check the pump, as well as flush the lines to the filter. The removal of the screen indicates to me that someone had issues with foreign trash in the system before, and now they have spread it through the system, at least to the filter. I would make sure to install a new screen of some kind on that suction tube, that stops the big stuff before it gets to the pump.

Just my 2c...

HTH

Dave

a2btransport

yea i will i have removed the trans box compleatly out and stripped it to a bare case i have found the foward and reverse piston in the clutch pack are worn and the clutch plates are too so ill be replacing them. i pulled thr converter appart and found nothing to be a concern tomorrow ill be washing the box out and blowing all the galleries out ill post pics up soon of the whole process oh and thank you for replying it makes the jod just that much easyer i also hpoe the pics will help people

dwloop

yea i will i have removed the trans box compleatly out and stripped it to a bare case i have found the foward and reverse piston in the clutch pack are worn and the clutch plates are too so ill be replacing them. i pulled thr converter appart and found nothing to be a concern tomorrow ill be washing the box out and blowing all the galleries out ill post pics up soon of the whole process oh and thank you for replying it makes the jod just that much easyer i also hpoe the pics will help people

I am looking forward to seeing the pics!!

Dave

dwloop

a2btransport,

Thanks for the pics!! What are you showing in last pic of post #87 and first pic of #88?? How much trash did you find in the case and system?? Those shuttle disks don't look all that worn from the pics...

Dave

a2btransport

the pics are the piston housing inside where the ring goes its a bit blurey, and the housing has picked up and is worn ill take some better ones cause ive been told this is a mayjor cause of loss of power ,as far as the clutch plates go the close up pic is the new ones and the one fron a bit of distance is the old ones ill put more pics up soon

a2btransport

hi just wondering if anyone knows the running oil pressure to the oil cooler and filter at the front of the 580b backhoe???. the oil cooler on mine witch used to go through the bottom of the radiator has been bypassed straight to the filter housing so im assuming it was faulty i want to buy a aftermarket one and fit it to the front of the radiator, just want to make sure i get the right psi rating . i cant test mine at the moment cause the box is still out, waiting on parts

dwloop

a2bt,

The service manual does not show a hydraulic schematic, but in on of the testing sections for the shuttle in the back it shows to remove the cooler line and insert a flow / pressure meter. At the point it states the closed off pressure should the same as the test pressures for the pump, +/- 200 psi, but not to exceed 500 psi. So I assume the cooler has full pump pressure, on mine is around 210 psi in neutral and the clutch out.

HTH
Dave

Dodgeman

Occupation
journeyman welder
Hi there, just bought my first backhoe, a case 580b. I'm a total greenhorn at running it and even more so at fixing it. It seemed to work fine in the yard in first gear, but today i drove it up the road abit, and it will bearly pull itself in 4th gear on level ground, 3rd is alittle better, but seems to be slipping or something on a slight grade. I believe it is power shuttle shift(told by seller but not sure). Could this be the suction screen plugged also? Pressure gauge in dash shows in the green. The guy I bought it from said he changed all the fluids and filters on the machine, and said he put ATF in tranny. Is ATF ok? I was worried torque converter was bad, could it be? Does this sound like an expensive fix? Any help or info would be greatly appreicated!!!

dwloop

Hi there, just bought my first backhoe, a case 580b. I'm a total greenhorn at running it and even more so at fixing it. It seemed to work fine in the yard in first gear, but today i drove it up the road abit, and it will bearly pull itself in 4th gear on level ground, 3rd is alittle better, but seems to be slipping or something on a slight grade. I believe it is power shuttle shift(told by seller but not sure). Could this be the suction screen plugged also? Pressure gauge in dash shows in the green. The guy I bought it from said he changed all the fluids and filters on the machine, and said he put ATF in tranny. Is ATF ok? I was worried torque converter was bad, could it be? Does this sound like an expensive fix? Any help or info would be greatly appreicated!!!

I would not use ATF in the transaxle, 80/90 weight gear lube in that section. These units have enough issues with the ring and pinion without usingthe wrong lube. The shuttle unit is supposed to have HyTran oil in it, some have used a mixture of HyTran and ATF although I would not. If the pressure gauge stays in the green I would not think the pump intake is plugged. In the service manual there are several pressure tests on these units that diagnose the shuttle.

HTH
Dave

ijoker

Occupation
Electrician
Dodgeman, If the level of the ATF in the shuttle is full, then it could be the ATF causing your problem. Personally i would drain it, and put in Hy-trans fluid and see how it does. I found that my 580b does not have a lot of power in 4th gear. But once it gets going it is fine. It definately doesn't have any uphill power in 4th. But that is what the lower gears are for. As for the fluids in the shuttle, and the transaxle as well, i learned on this forum that it is best to use Hy-trans fluid in both. It was said that that way if you get any internal leaks you won't contaminate one oil with the other. You said it works fine in 1st gear, you didn't say anything about 2nd gear. If it isn't slipping in those gears, then i would say the shuttle is probably ok. We need to keep in mind that these machines are old and need a lot of tlc. And we can't expect them to run like new. And from what i have learned they were not perfect when they were new. They had their flaws. Let us know how it goes. Maybe start a new thread so you are not hijacking this one. :D lol, Joe

ijoker

Occupation
Electrician
I have to apologize Dodgeman. I just went back and found that you are a new member and probably not able to post new threads yet. :notworthy Welcome to the forum.