• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580B Throttle Rod

Troy4500Industrial

Hey All,

My 580 the foot throttle stopped working, the hand control and foot work together when you use the hand control, but neither adjusts the throttle ... when I pull the inspection plate under the steering wheel, the rod moves until just past where the F/R handle connects ... it looks like the rod snapped possibly? I seen a spot for a cotter pin, got one in there, but it still didnt help anything ... any help? How do I go about pulling that rod out? Appears as though I may need to pull the clutch pedal off first and then grind the paint off to see how the rod is connected?

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Before u go pulling anything.. have a look at the inj. pump throttle.. its a 2 piece set-up w/ a spring to hold the 2 pcs together.. THAT SPRING BREAKS & will flop & not move the throttle..
Its right where the rod hooks to the lever on the inj. pump..
Have a look.. IF its broken, let me know..

Troy4500Industrial

Before u go pulling anything.. have a look at the inj. pump throttle.. its a 2 piece set-up w/ a spring to hold the 2 pcs together.. THAT SPRING BREAKS & will flop & not move the throttle..
Its right where the rod hooks to the lever on the inj. pump..
Have a look.. IF its broken, let me know..

Thanks for the idea, I double checked and all that is good ... its definately something not connecting from the lever from lower linkage rod (by the clutch pedal) to the lever that has the connecting rod to the injector ... I'm hoping to find a cotter pin broke somewhere I havent noticed, or be able to remove it and if nothing else, weld the rod back if it snapped .. by this diagram i'm guessing somewhere in the 2,3,4, or 21 area(s)

upload_2019-5-11_5-7-31.png

Last edited:

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
I have seen the throttle linkage break over center and try to work backwards. Disconnect linkage and make sure bellcranks and pins are intact and correct.

mikey1

Occupation
local truck driver
On this throttle linkage, where does the spring connect?

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
I believe the spring attaches to item#2 and the bolt #8 where it attaches to the steering support.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
There was a portion of a thread along time ago about it w/ pictures.. it was in a thread about a 580 rebuild..
It was a real bear to find where it connects..correctly.
Some members on here are better at recollecting than me.. I think it was Tinkerer that was helping on that.?

Tinkerer

I remember the thread but not the fix.
Here is the Roosa Master pump showing the throttle springs and the anchor points.
If the problem is in the linkage Troy will need to find where the back and forth motion ceases between the foot pedal and pump. No way to diagnose the problem on a computer for me.:(
roosa.png
Here are the linkages in case something sheared or has come loose.
linkage.png

Last edited: