• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

case 580b

ritch

my 1976 580b with power shuttle transmission has a dipstick with no mark for full level. could a fellow 580b owner please measure down their dipstick to the full mark. I'd like to file a mark for future reference. for accuracy best to measure including threads in the event my dipstick is not original to the machine. recently found leak at the rad and no way to determine how much fluid loss without draining and refilling. sure would be a time and fluid saver to have a full mark.

ritch

thanks for your reply Mn Vern. the photo is my torque tube stick at top and trans stick at bottom, your measurements match the torque tube stick. are mine switched?

Mn Vern

It looks that way. The owners manual show's the torque tube having the shorter stick. My trans stick measures 13 inches long with a mark 1-1/4 inch from the bottom.

ritch

roger that. looks like something been chewing on my stick. no wonder there are no marks, its missing 1 1/4". thanks again.

S.A.E.

my 1976 580b with power shuttle transmission has a dipstick with no mark for full level. could a fellow 580b owner please measure down their dipstick to the full mark. I'd like to file a mark for future reference. for accuracy best to measure including threads in the event my dipstick is not original to the machine. recently found leak at the rad and no way to determine how much fluid loss without draining and refilling. sure would be a time and fluid saver to have a full mark.
Which dipstick do you need measured?

ritch

Mn Verns torque tube stick measurements match mine. I've adjusted my fluid level accordingly. a 2nd conformation on the 13" would be welcome.

Case-B Jones

CASE 580B dipsticks!!
Did we get any further on this?
Have just flushed the sludge out of the tranny and the shuttle and now want to refill, know what to use just not sure about quantities.
lots of people saying 4 gallons in each. Manual says 16.1 litres for tranny and 15.1 litres for shuttle.
Guess the shuttle would still have oil in the clutch and pump and cooler etc. so would it only be 12/13 litres to fill.
Would be so much easier if just had a max and min on dipstick.
Do you screw in sticks to get level or just leave loose on the top??
Here are my dipsticks for tranny and shuttle.
Can anyone comment on the marks I have put and maybe when all is done I will put a little tutorial video for filling and checking! seems a lot of confusion

Thanks in advance
Pete.

upload_2021-11-2_16-29-8.png dipsticks.jpg

ritch

hello pete. seems like a simple thing to resolve, thought i'd get more than 1 response to my original question considering the number of views. thanks again to mnvern. s.a.e. must be a bot, i'm still standing by.
1. your capacities photo matches my manual.
2. your sticks photo match mnverns.
3. i screw my sticks in to measure.
i had my trans serviced at case dealer several years ago but did not take note of the levels at that time. i can verify the shuttle level remains at the top mark of dipstick. with regard to the trans level i questioned after discovering hose leak at rad and not knowing amount of fluid lost, filter change and mangled dipstick. its my opinion you should adjust levels to notches on dipstick taking into account the amount of fluid/sludge that may remains in system. can not explain why only 1 notch on trans stick. i would also plan on checking/draining any additional sludge that may have moved into trans after operation.
if my opinion is incorrect i look forward to being corrected.
let me know how you make out.
Ritch

Case-B Jones

Cheers Ritch. Useful info. The shuttle is currently undergoing diesel and oil flushes getting pretty clean and working well now, waiting on new filter and oil delivery and will take your advice and fill to top notch with stick screwed in.
re the trans, after flushig out with diesel etc a few times i guess it will be completely empty, will get a scope camera in to have a look and then will put the 16.1 litres in, warm it up , leave for a while then screw stick in and see where that mark is, whatever I find, i'll make a note and post here.
Cheers
pete