• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

case 580c misfire question

john adams

Harbor Freight sells a master compression test kit that has a pencil injector adapter..
Don’t get the small kit, that’s only for testing thru the glow plug hole, which u don’t have..
Awesome, Thanks for the tip ,i was wondering where to get such a thing. Probly wont get to mess with the 580 till the weekend if all goes well with work.

john adams

I think HF has changed the master diesel kit? im looking at it on line and dont see anything that looks like a pencil type adaptor like i have seen for sale on the web?.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
WOW.. your right.!!!
They did change it..
Idk what to tell u.. I’m not 100% sure but I would “guess” there’s something that works for pencil injectors..

john adams

I went ahead and got the 50 dollar set and i will fire up the old south bend and machine my own, i can get dimensions off the old nozzle and rob a coupler out of the kit.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
I was thinking, u could have made a tester out of 1 of the old injectors that u replaced..
Take all the guts out, plug the inlet stem, grind off the tip portion of the injector until u get to an open hole and adapt the other end to your 500 psi gauge..
That way u can use the factory hold down..
Good luck..
Idk if the manual gives a normal compression reading.??
But.. anything over 300 psi is acceptable.

john adams

Was thinking the same thing, i tried to take one of the china nozzles apart and tapped on it to try to get the pin to come out and ended up bending it. Moved on to the lathe and enjoying getting to run the ol girl [1934 16"x8' Southbend], almost therapeutic to use it haha!

john adams

UPDATE!!!!! Ok after much horsing around and other things getting in the way of working on the backhoe, I finally got it straightened out! I bought a compression test kit from harbor freight for 60. Bux and machined my own nozzle adapter. Compression cold was 325 and running was 400. So I pulled the brand new Stanadyne nozzle and put it on the tester. It popped off at 2800 psi perfectly. My manual list two different readings of 2800 and 3200, now as I was taking my compression tester off I noticed a decal on the valve cover, covered with dirt. Cleaned it off and it said pop off should be 2600. So adjusted the new nozzle to pop at 2600 and reassembled everything, after a rough start and bleeding the line she straightened out and runs like before! So lesson learned as the guys on here said,check compression first then move on from there. Thanks to all for your input and help. I will post a pic of the kit I bought as well as the adapter I made.

ghitch75

The originals (20673) pop at 2800 new
Service ((used) at 2600 psi
& r for a 207 engine..

The China injector 20671 say they’re for either a 207 or a 188..on their website..
If u go to a fuel shop website they say for a 188 engine..
So I would make the decision on what engine I had..
There is a Stanadyne service bulletin that states if your going to use the 20671 in sets only, u need to turn the inj. pump up 10%..to accommodate for the higher pressure..
I hope this helps..

i know this is a old thread.....can you point me in the right direction on how to turn the pump up 10%?

thanks