• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580CK, need a little guidance.

reliant_turbo

Hello everyone,

I picked up a Case 580CK yesterday that has bad shuttle clutches from what the previous owner told me.

All of the cylinders function just fine (with a few small leaks) but it doesn't move.

I have a friend that works on farm equipment and he is going to help me split it in his shop but I have a few questions first.

1. I can't find the tractor serial number to get the year to find parts. Can anyone determine what year it is visually or based on the serial of the engine and backhoe which I do have the serial tags?

2. Is the tractor serial stamped anyplace else?

3. I believe it has the torque converter setup with the hydraulic shuttle. The forward/reverse valve that the lever actuates was a little stuck but I freed it up with a few gentle taps and some lube. I can't see any tags on the torque converter/torque tube either, just a patent label so I am unsure of which clutches to purchase. I do see the filter up in front with the 4 bolts on the top cap.

4. It runs and starts well, has a new starter and battery and many new hydraulic lines.

5. I have a paper service manual for it so that helps.

Here is a pic of that helps to get me in the ballpark of year range to purchase clutches.

IMG_20230827_174001.jpg

IMG_20230827_211808.jpg

IMG_20230827_212935.jpg

Thanks,

Brian

reliant_turbo

Also, filling the torque tube with fluid, i don't really have an operators manual so I'm guessing that fill point is the large plug in the cover over the clutch pack location? Is there a dipstick under that plug?

I just got it yesterday afternoon so I haven't really torn into it yet. I spent a lot of time drinking in all the info from the service manual.

Thanks,

Brian

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
Is that the diesel engine model? The CK580 is enough to get parts.

The shuttle clutches are a hydraulically clamped spring released multi plate wet clutch assembly. One of my clutch packs had the springs fragment, trashing all the o rings in what's called the power shuttle assembly. I did the job myself.
The hoe will remove itself, clean up those two top pins really well, with the outriggers and the bucket
you will be able to get the top pins out and lift the backhoe out. I set mine on a couple logs for jack stands. Break the hydraulic line and loop it back to itself.

You'll have to remove the hoe and its brackets to be able to roll the rear axle back, I left the gearbox attached to the rear axle and used a pipe attached to one of the cover bolts and a few full 5 gallon pails six feet out the back to get it to balance nicely to remove it, don't drop the shims on the input shaft.

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
I think the whole job, solo, took me 16 hours. I had a pile of metal spring pieces in the transmission right beneath the oil pickup screen. Having the manual helps, I did the exploded view of the power shuttle on a long paper covered work bench, substituted all the new parts along the path then went backwards to reassemble.

reliant_turbo

so you took the entire torque tube shuttle/torque converter and everything out?

or just pulled the clutch pack assembly out?

are the clutch frictions and steels the same for the twin disc or the rockford, thats another thing I dont have serial plates to figure out.

Thanks,

Brian

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
So the clutch packs are located inside the 'power shuttle' assembly I took the top off the shuttle transmission and once the 4 speed gearbox was removed along with the rear axle, the shuttle slides out the back. I left the torque converter and torque tube bolted to the engine. There shouldn't be a disc style clutch if yours is about the same year, there is a clutch pedal which dumps the fluid pressure in the shuttle and eventually applies the brakes.

reliant_turbo

ok, that was my plan. Thanks.

yeah it seems like it has the torque converter as the clutch pedal just moves the clutch valve next to the forward/reverse shuttle control on top of the torque tube. it doesnt seem like a mechanism that would be actuating a pressure plate.

Brian

reliant_turbo

Look on the side of the steering wheel column for the serial number.
yup. i did.... on the last time i looked, i noticed the holes where the rivets would be that used to hold the model number/serial number plate in place.

all i have is the backhoe plate and the engine plate. I cant find the torque tube/shuttle trans bit plate either.

I think, because of the color (red block, red trans, red axle, yellow everything else) and the decals that are left its really a 66-71 580CK.... So I think i will tear down the shuttle clutch as soon as i get it under my buddies shops roof and the order parts as i need them.

Im not even sure that the trans is full of fluid... again, i bought this yesterday. is the pickup screen for the fluid pump (that could be full of metal bits) be in the same section of the torque tube that houses the shuttle clutch? its hard to tell in the service manual....

the talk about twin-disk vs rockford and other distractions, It takes me a little bit to filter the noise and figure out what im dealing with.

was the twin disc/rockford difference more in the 580B CK (post 1971) vs the 66-71 580CK?

Im also curious about what appears to be a filter housing with the 4 bolt cover mounted above the torque tube cover plate next to where the shuttle control valve and clutch control valve are. what filter housing might this be?

also.... hydraulic pressure... someone put a pressure gauge up and to the right of the hydraulic filter housing (the upside down aluminum one)

where would the transmission pressure gauge be attached to if I wanted to have something to monitor filter quality?

Thanks.

Brian

reliant_turbo

doh... the project just got harder.....

pulled the fill/dipstick plug on the shuttle..... rust.....

then i pulled the rear drain plug, little bit of water and then brown oily goo poured out. I put the plug back in. gotta get to my buddies and tear the whole shuttle out and tear it down and flush the lines/front filter etc.

4 speed trans behind it does not appear to be a waterlogged mess. bit ill find out when i crack the drain plug a bit.

Brian

reliant_turbo

so its most likely a 580CK and not a 580B CK. Thanks!

Now to figure out how to clean this power shuttle out....

I have some crazy ideas involving evaporust (i mean there is already water in there) and flushing with diesel and a few rounds of fresh fluid, then addressing the shuttle clutches if it shows signs of operation, but ill probably end up tearing it down completely and addressing the damage. then build a lean-to onto the garage so it stays way more dry then the previous owner kept it.....

Brian