• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580K or 580L

sthomps

I was doing some seaching around for a newer than our backhoe and was thinking that a 580K would be about what we where wanting to spend. After looking online at a few we decided we should look at a local 580K for sale, turned out it was a higher hour hoe but had 4x4 e-hoe and was 16,000cnd. We where going to buy this machine but it was sold before we could by it. My question is, should I keep looking for a machine that's in that price range or pool some money with my Dad and look for a newer machine like a super L?

nilzlofgren

I have a 580K. It's been a great machine for 14 years now. A lot of people say that the L is better. They are probably right, but the K is also a fine machine that wont let you down. It was the first model with the cast boom, and built in quick coupler. One thing about the K though, is that there is the 580K, than, there is a 580K "phase 3." There were upgrades on the phase 3. You can tell a phase 3, because the gear shift comes up through the console on the right side. On an early 580K, the gear shift comes up through the floor. Also, a phase 3 serial number starts after JJG0020000.

sthomps

The one we looked at was a phase 1. Are the phase 3's a better hoe as far as being more reliable? Or are they just different as far as the transmission goes. Would anyone say that a 580l would be worth $10,000 more for a farmer that doesn't put a lot of hours on the machine a year? I was thinking that the newer machine might be a better investment for the long term. We would be upgrading from a MF 40 that is getting a little long in the tooth, so even a ck would be a step up.

nilzlofgren

The shuttle and transaxle are one unit on the phase 3. I don't know if that makes it more reliable or not. As far as what to buy, seeing as you wont put that many hours on the machine, if the K is in good condition, buy it and save $10K. You could use that money for additional attachments. But, if your heart is set on the L, than buy that. Either way, in your situation, I don't think you can go wrong with either machine.

sthomps

We went to an auction last weekend that had a 580sl series 2 that we were going to bid on but went about $1500 more then we figured we would like to pay. It ran good, everything worked except the turbo wastegate as far as we could tell. It sold for $20,000. How much more is a decent L worth over a simialar hour K. The only thing is with the 580L at the auction we had to figure in the costs of getting it back to Canada.

Mudpile

Occupation
retired salesman
Auction price is usually a little lower. The L is a bettor machine with a stronger fram. The latter K tranaxle does not like going on the road for many milis. Better to pay $5K more for a L. Good time of year to by.Mudpile

sthomps

Thanks, I think we are going to look at a couple 580l's on the weekend. Anyone know a good site for breaking down serial numbers. I know on tractor data they list what number lot goes with what year machine, for farm tractors? Anything like that for case backhoes?