• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580K or JCB3CX

AU.CASE

Occupation
Grazier // Rancher remote NSW
Hello all,

What an amazing forum, thank you to those behind its quality. :)

Quick intro, I am a grazier [rancher] with a few thousand acres of rough, really rough country in the Eastern central ranges of New South Wales // Oz.

Have developed a well held liking for Case, have had a D750 and now an 1150D for a few hours a year of essential farm work and the very very rare contract.

Time moves on and I want to sell the 4WD tractor for a 'hoe.

Ok I find the ad and there is a cheapie which the owner says is 'pretty rough' in the form of a 580SK // 1993. Yes it's rough, cab rusted out, few leaks on the cylinders, 4 in 1 bent and sorry, seems to slip when crowding and lots of play in the hoe // extenda, plus an engine tick under labour regularly, runs nicely though, brakes are faulty, so tends to point to a transmission pump problem for the Torque Converter / brakes, if they are anything like the same as my 1150D.

My wife [;)] sees the expensive 580K in the shed, "hey there's a nice one over here, how much is that one?"

"Oh about $56k [AUD] after a clean and fix a tail light, with two buckets."

It has some pretty wet housing's underneath and I am fanatical about oil leaks // they have to go or else, ok I'm obsessed, I should be able to do a days work without checking the oil first day out of workshop, or else it has to be fixed.

It runs nicely and shows 2700H but that meter doesn't work so is a worry.

Anyway, the walk out there is two JCB's and the guy prefers these, "come and have a look / drive they are my favourite" which I do.

Both tidy, similar attachments, '97 make, 3,000 hours, both $55k.

One JCB3CX drips oil from two central housings when it is idling every second.

The other has oil free transmission and drives well, there is a regular 'beat of black smoke' from the exhaust under labour, so maybe an injector problem?

So my problem is will my wife allow me to:

1) Case brand preferred, even with the leaks, I know they are magic to work on, good tyres and no broken windows + AC.

2) The JCB3CX, tidy, doesn't seem to leak from the middle, 4 worn tyres, no AC, one rear corner window smashed, seller seems to want me to take one of these! Slightly cheaper.

I noticed the disk brake on the JCB, doesn't seem to come with a belly plate [ok too much dozer here...] guess that is normal.

What do people think, probably the Case?

Photo's are a bit hopeless as the Case was in a shed.

Attachments

• DSC04437.JPG
    DSC04437.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 1,109
  • DSC04446.jpg
    DSC04446.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 962

LT-x7

Occupation
Earth Moving Contractor
I know I'll be the odd man out here.... But I wouldn't hesitate to buy another JCB.

Rally_Action

Case or JCB. Both are well supported in Oz.
Depends which one you feel needs less repairs to get it to where you want to be when using the machine.

AU.CASE

Occupation
Case or JCB. Both are well supported in Oz.
Depends which one you feel needs less repairs to get it to where you want to be when using the machine.

Hi all,

Many thanks for taking the time to read such a long post - sorry!

Really appreciate the advice and am planning to go back tomorrow and drive the Case this time then get the prices back a bit, seller hasn't moved a machine for two weeks or more so could be a good time to chisel in a bit?

Will get some decent photo's of the 850K this time, maybe see where that oil is coming from!

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Go the Case! ....... But which one ? If the SK brakes are not working - could be expensive repair. Does it hold oil at the master cyls ?
The more expensive K in the shed an earlier model ? Give us more info on it.

AU.CASE

Occupation
Go the Case! ....... But which one ? If the SK brakes are not working - could be expensive repair. Does it hold oil at the master cyls ?
The more expensive K in the shed an earlier model ? Give us more info on it.

Cheers, yes going to have the seller to get it out tomorrow so I can load it up.

He nearly had me talked into the JCB [maybe because they aren't selling?] "diff in these will never break, never leak oil etc etc] so I smelt a bit of a rat there later, on them. Anyway I am biased, they look a nice machine.

The old SK 4WD is too rough, check this out first image below, anyway my wife immediately said NO. :rolleyes:

Good news is after Sunday lunch "you're spending too much money" - referring to the 580K.

The 580K runs well, good tyres, levers are all firm, windows complete, minimal cab rust, most lights in place, some wet transmission housing oil leaks - ex Railway machine, supposed to be 2,700H showing but meter is dodgy? Also has an AC, CB radio and AM/FM fitted, 1994 make.

Couldn't get any decent images in the shed but one of the instrument console and hoe below fwiw.

Attachments

• 4406.jpg
    4406.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 823
  • DSC04435.JPG
    DSC04435.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 829
  • DSC04438.JPG
    DSC04438.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 828

alrman

Occupation
The pictures show the K to be a SK as well - it has grey cab ? 580K's are very confusing here. Case ran the model for nearly 10yrs.
If it is a grey cab model it will be younger than the SK in the 1st photo & if it is from railways the hourmeter might be closer to true than the machine may cosmetically look ;)

Last edited:

AU.CASE

Occupation
The pictures show the K to be a SK as well - it has grey cab ? 580K's are very confusing here. Case ran the model for nearly 10yrs.

Hi yes, spot on it is a 580 SK, although the ID badge says 580-K-Turbo / 1995.

Managed to continue the price trend, settled for $39,600 [AUD] today after a I had a little drive and some fiddling about because I didn't know what I was doing [where is that power tilt multi lever - dozer here...;)].

A few minor things are to be repaired in the cosmetic area by the dealer [labels, touch up paint over the rust, battery bracket etc].

Found a local heavy freighter with a low tray who will deliver into rough country, for $1.93/Km // 400Km round trip, :) with that.

Took some decent photo's when we arrived because the dealer was out so had a good look round where it was being maintained.

Attachments

• DSC04502.JPG
    DSC04502.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 807
  • DSC04501.JPG
    DSC04501.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 798
  • DSC04496.JPG
    DSC04496.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 788
  • DSC04514.JPG
    DSC04514.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 778
  • DSC04505.JPG
    DSC04505.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 759

alrman

Occupation
Looks pretty good! :cool:
580SK XP (extra performance) - tell the missus, thats why it costs a little more! :)
Noticed the transmission suction line is missing a guard. If you are going to work it in rough country with sticks & timber - it will pay to fabricate something to save some damage there. ;)

AU.CASE

Occupation
Looks pretty good! :cool:
580SK XP (extra performance) - tell the missus, thats why it costs a little more! :)

Yeah, :guns just copped a blast about that, might have to move out for a week or two!

Noticed the transmission suction line is missing a guard. If you are going to work it in rough country with sticks & timber - it will pay to fabricate something to save some damage there. ;)

Cheers, thanks for that, it will need a few touch ups, just to get into some basic work where there is a bit of rubbish in the environment.

AU.CASE

Occupation
Hoe down day

Hi all,

She's here yesterday, heavy haulage [Fardell's of Dubbo] were *excellent* rig was immaculate, price was right.

Dealer has been busy in the electrics and now the tail lights are replaced.

Bad news is the fuse cover was off [no blown fuses] on arrival and the Tacho & Hour meter are dead.

When the Ignition is off the tachometer shows a reading which sits up at 1000 RPM, when the ignition is on it drops to zero and the hour meter doesn't move.

Any ideas because it was working in his yard, although the tachometer still rested the needle at 1000 RPM when I first looked at it with the ignition off.

Any electrical schematics online anywhere?

Looking for a Service Manual for a 580K Construction King, no reply from Case yet and haven't had time to look into anything much.

Attachments

• DSC04529.JPG
    DSC04529.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 728
  • DSC04604.JPG
    DSC04604.JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 951
  • DSC04622.JPG
    DSC04622.JPG
    125 KB · Views: 785
Last edited:

alrman

Occupation
Tacho has feed off back of alternator - one wire near middle - check that first - Next see if alternator is charging, use voltmeter look for 13 - 14V when engine running.
Maybe dealer did some welding & pulled wires & forgot to put back?