• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

case 580K phase 1, what is this tank?

dirtfreak580

hi Guys, new here. Searched the parts manual, looked on here and still can’t see what this tank is for. Located between the fuel and hydraulic reservoir. What goes in here?

Attachments

• 07C576F8-5DC8-4728-ACCD-0DB588AF3235.jpeg
    07C576F8-5DC8-4728-ACCD-0DB588AF3235.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 99

dirtfreak580

Doesn’t look stock to me, I’m going to have to take it out and see where this goes. Looks to be some hydraulic fluid in the bottom of tank, very little tho, but that is only a guess. The rad overflow is at the front of the engine also, that looks correct, also matches the books. I just wanted to see if anyone knew what should be in here, because right now there is only a very small amount of clear fluid at the bottom of the tank. May be hydraulic. I guess nothing is going to be easy. Just prepping to do all of the fluids and filters.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Auxiliary diesel tank. It’s supposed to be connected to the main tank. IDK why Case did that.

dirtfreak580

I am not sure how that would work? You can’t run out your main tank then switch to the auxiliary tank, because everything would have to be bled out, correct? Strange I can’t find anything in any manuals about that. I’m not at the machine right now but I’m going to have to pull it out and see where it goes.

Coaldust

Occupation
Maybe the original function was for it to act as a breather and overflow for the main fuel tank. You should find a hose on the bottom that routes to the main fuel tank.

dirtfreak580

That makes sense, I have yet to completely fill the fuel tank. When I fill the tank, it would back up into the auxilliary tank showing the main being full. I'll look into that.

Steve Favia

Occupation
Retired local 150 Operating Engineer
That’s strange, I have a 580K series 3 don’t have that. I have 2 brake fluid reservoirs there.

dirtfreak580

You cant see the reservoirs in this picture. but they are to the right at the bottom. You can see the master cylinders just at the bottom of the pic.

dirtfreak580

Don't put any fuel in it !
It is the transparent reservoir (tank) for the brake fluid. NO Dot 3 in it !
There should be two lines on the bottom of it and they go to each master cylinder.
The brake fluid reservoirs are out of the picture to the right. They sit right above the masters. The center of the screen is the tank we are looking at.

Coaldust

Occupation
I don’t think we will ever know the true meaning of the mystery reservoir. Maybe it’s not meant for us to know.

Perhaps, the average Case owner can utilize it as a safe place, to keep their hopes & dreams for a rainy day?

dirtfreak580

I don’t think we will ever know the true meaning of the mystery reservoir. Maybe it’s not meant for us to know.

Perhaps, the average Case owner can utilize it as a safe place, to keep their hopes & dreams for a rainy day?

Now THAT is the answer I expected, Why is it when I buy one of these machines it is a unicorn? I'll repost when I get back to this in about a week. For the time being I''ll happily entertain any guesses.

mitch504

On the K ph 3, they show an auxiliary fuel tank there, it just has 2 small rubber hoses that hook to fittings in the main tank. It just adds extra capacity, no switching capability.

However, you say that's not a ph 3, and I thought the aux fuel tank would be bigger.

dirtfreak580

Mine is Phase 1, Shifter on the floor, not console. My serial number is hard to read but I can see JJG0010???. I see from other posts that I may be able to see it on the loader frame, I will check for it there. But with what I can see the number is below the JJG020000??? number I have seen on other posts.

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Ok, here's my take on it.
Looks like a breather on top, I think it is an oil acummulation bottle for the shuttle.
Since it is an early K - the power shuttle transmissions in these would sometimes (when there was something wrong with them) spew oil out of the breather on top of the shuttle.
I think someone has thought to fit this bottle, with a hose running to the original breather location, to catch the oil & then return it to the shuttle when cold.

All 1150D/E/G/H dozers use a similar shaped reservior - without the added breather on the cap.

Last edited: