• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580K: when using "float" on FEL going up hill, front end lifts

DualsportWA

Hi all- I'm having an issue with the "float" setting using my front end loader on my Case 580K. It works great until I step on the gas (very noticeable uphill) which causes the front end to lift (as if the float is bypassed). I assume this is not supposed to happen? (front loader should float regardless of engine RPM?).

Any ideas on how to adjust/fix this?

Delmer

Are you sure this is hydraulic related? and not just the torque reaction/"wheelie" affect. It's more noticeable uphill because of the weight transfer backwards over the rear axle, the backhoe sticks out further.

Also the bucket digging in will push the loader pivots back and lift the front wheels even without a backhoe hanging off the back.

DualsportWA

Here's where I noticed it: plowing the driveway. Going down hill, floats fine (idling). Going up hill, when I gas it, the front lifts- same digging force as downhill. I really don't think it's related to pushing (like the lift you get when digging a yard of dirt out of a hill side, I do have that happen, shouldn't happen when clearing 4" of snow :) )

Delmer

I'm not there so I can't tell as well as you can, but that still sounds like it's not hydraulic.

Try this, go on the same slope, loader in float, use the brakes to hold you, in neutral gun it and see if the front lifts up. Then lift the bucket six inches off the ground and starting from a stop on the same slope, take off quick and see how little it takes to pick up the front end (set the stabilizers as wheelie bars first).

If it's not supposed to lift the tires off the ground plowing snow then I have the same float valve problem on my JD backhoe, it does it fairly often on nearly flat ground.

Lets see what the experts say on this one, wonder if ALRMAN has any experience plowing snow?

jackleg

Occupation
Auxiliary Equipment Operator
On my 580C sometimes I have to have it curled up slightly (judged by looking at the 2 little pointer brackets on the right side) to keep from digging down in float.

sheepfoot

A little more info, 2wd machine, 4wd machine, does it have extenda hoe, 4x1 bucket, and is there a front counter weight on your machine. Most will lift the tires uphill in float as it tries to cut. If the hoe is not locked over center it will be light, and the extra counter weight on the front will help keeping the wheels down some. We don't know the grade you are talking about also.

mitch504

I have a 580K 4x4 with extendahoe, it has the heavy (900 pound?) chin weight, and water in the front tires. When using the loader in float position moving forward, almost any resistance at all encountered by the bucket will cause the front wheels to come off the ground as high as allowed by the lift cylinders. This is just the nature of the beast.

I have 29 yrs running backhoes, about 90% of it split between Case and Ford/ New Holland, the rest everything else. I currently own one Ford and one Case. The Cases are light in the nose, the Fords are nose heavy. If the ground is soft at all, the Fords will bury their front wheels. Grading going forward with a Case, either don't use float, or expect the nose to pop up.

El Hombre

As far as the weight on the hoe is concerned, front loader in float is not contributing very much weight to the front wheels. The loader pivot is just in front of the cab, so as the front wheelies, it's just pivoting around that loader pivot. Only force on the pivot is dragging the bucket along the ground, not resisting the total weight of the front loader.

So up she goes; especially on an upslope....

maddog

Are you sure this is hydraulic related? and not just the torque reaction/"wheelie" affect. It's more noticeable uphill because of the weight transfer backwards over the rear axle, the backhoe sticks out further.

Also the bucket digging in will push the loader pivots back and lift the front wheels even without a backhoe hanging off the back.

Yep, have to agree with this

bob_00

the float wil work fine if your going backward drop it on the ground put in on float see it wil not lift the lift is cause by the loader arm desing as soon as the buket wil get any restiance going foward with the float mode on it wil push on the upper part of your loader were it attache on the machine pusing you on your back for snow plowing use a blade with a chain linkage that wil do better or try moore scooping insted of scraping with the float or just use your barke as sterring i got a 2x4 580k no exdandahoe no 4 in one and no cunterweight

Deon

A backhoe is not the easiest machine in the world to plow snow with. For the very reason that the weight of the loader is needed to help keep the front wheels on the ground. On nice flat ground you can set the cutting edge just lightly scraping the ashfault and all is good. But on dirt driveways and some paved lots with hills and valleys plus potholes and raised center etc. you will need to get use to working the control lever, brakes and steering all in unison. A little tap up and a little tap down of the cutting edge just at right time and your left foot switching from one brake to the other, again, just at the right time while your steering down your driveway and it all works out. But it's like anything new, it takes time to master.:roll

mitch504

I use it everyday in forward, you can vary the pitch of the cutting edge to control how aggressively the bucket digs.

mudober

Occupation
heavy equiptment operator
Its nothing more than a weight transfer issue. Take your loader out of float when going uphill.

you know your stuff .thats what i was going to say
I have a 580K 4x4 with extendahoe, it has the heavy (900 pound?) chin weight, and water in the front tires. When using the loader in float position moving forward, almost any resistance at all encountered by the bucket will cause the front wheels to come off the ground as high as allowed by the lift cylinders. This is just the nature of the beast.

I have 29 yrs running backhoes, about 90% of it split between Case and Ford/ New Holland, the rest everything else. I currently own one Ford and one Case. The Cases are light in the nose, the Fords are nose heavy. If the ground is soft at all, the Fords will bury their front wheels. Grading going forward with a Case, either don't use float, or expect the nose to pop up.