• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580SE brakes again

syndy

Occupation
Retired
Last spring I went up to NC and removed my right brake disk and the actuating plate assembly. Oil had leaked and it was like that from the previous owner, (a long time). I bought all the parts back to FL and tried de-greasing the disk using brake cleaner. The disk were in good shape as far as thickness and they seemed to clean up well, used about six cans of brake cleaner on them.

I disassembled the balls which measured good with a mic and the sockets were clean and not worn. I scuffed the metal surfaces with emery and reassembled the actuator and bench tested the movement as you pull on the clevis rod. Everything seemed to be working and in good shape

A couple of weeks ago I reinstalled a new seal and all the brake parts. I adjusted the brake rod nut until the pedal feel was about the same as the left brake. I checked to see that the rod was pulling up as the pedal was depressed indicating that the pads had pressure on them, all worked fine. (Also made sure no more oil was leaking through the new seal). So with all the parts supper clean and back together I have still no right brake.

Thinking that de-greasing the plates was not working, I raised the right wheel and let it spin for a few minutes at about 1500rpm. No sign of any brake, not even a hint. Other than that brake everything on the tractor works perfect. Any ideas except replacing the disk with new ones?

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
A bit wierd that you can adjust the pedal height, & not have brakes working :confused:
How much thread is out past the adjusting nuts? This indicates how much wear there is in the discs, I have seen about an inch or so + a little more & brakes still work.
Your problem can only really be
1) Worn out discs. Allowing expanders to travel to max. - Were there still grooves in the discs? Any pictures?
2) Worn surface areas in the housings, allowing expander to travel to max.
3) Combination of 1 & 2
4) Slave cylinder not allowing full travel, due to rust etc. or broken return springs

syndy

Occupation
Retired
Thanks for the reply alrman. I don't recall the amount of the rod sticking out but when I adjusted the brakes I noted both sides were about the same with the pedals even when pressure applied. No photos, I should have taken pictures when I cleaned everything up. Looking at the Slave cylinders (rod &lever movement) on both sides, they seem to move about the same amount.

I had planned on removing the assembly again and bring it back to FL but it just could not be done this trip. I spent part of a day putting it back together, 10 days of my wife and myself building a barn for the tractor and the last two days it rained and rained and rained ON A CLAY SURFACE. I could not even put the 580 into the barn as it was like driving on ice. I learned how to move using the clawing method and that's how it went into the barn.

Since everything looks to work ok, I think I will treat myself to new disk, driving with one brake is nuts.