• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580SE no foreward, no reverse

syndy

Occupation
Retired
I have a 1984 SE and my worst nightmare just came true. I have read over the past years of this happening and now it's in my lap. Used the hoe yesterday to do a small amount of digging. Drove it around the farm up hills and down worked perfect. Started it this morning and drove it down a hill, 700 ft, pulled out a gate post and back to where I'm building a house. Parked it and loaded some sheathing in the bucket and drove it to the back of the house and parked it. 4 hours later hopped in started it and no movement. Wheels raised, nothing. I checked the fluid, ok. Linkage moves the control arm along with the clutch solenoid. I was in the middle of putting up sheathing and have a deadline to meet for trusses so I had very little time to troubleshoot. My wife is out now getting me a work light to see under there and I plan to look more tomorrow. There is no clutch cutout switch on the bucket lever, gone when I got the machine. I assume the solenoid is (no 12v power-engaged). Is there another cutout?? I feel, hope it is electric and I can find the problem quick but then I know o-rings and metal parts go fast to. YES, IT'S IN GEAR :)

jimr

syndy, my '86 SE has an electric cut out on the floor under the brake pedals.

I hope it's something simple so you can get back to your house. jimr

syndy

Occupation
Retired
jimr, could it be something so simple???? I hope. Is there way other than dirt maybe for it to get stuck on? Here is where it says until I fix it. house 5_7.jpg

syndy

Occupation
Retired
Looking at the manual it looks like the floor cut out button is really a limit switch and that could stick real easy. Wife got my a real nice work light at wally world and I'll be under it first thing in the morning. Not a real good day today, had my trusses delivered and the guy smashed my 12' farm gate. We saw him hit it and and he never said a word. But I did get a lot of sheathing up.

ScottAR

Should be a solenoid switch on the left side of the reverser housing... about the size of a small soup can. The one on my 580D loosened off and the detent ball was sticking out of the housing... apparently that's neutral as it was dead in it's tracks. Screwed it back in and it worked till it loosened again. Replaced it and all has been well since.

sheepfoot

syndy, if you just unplug the harness at the solenoid (two wire connector) around 8" back on the elect harness from it, the machine should move. If the solenoid has unscrewed from the control valve it will also cause it not to move, use a large channel lock pliers to tighten it back up, it turns clockwise looking at it from the left hand side of the machine. It will not hurt the machine to run not having the solenoid wire plugged in, you just won't have the cutout on the floor or loader lever working when or if you use them. Could be some other issues but this is the first two things to check after checking the shuttle oil with the dipstick next to the starter with the machine warm and at idle.

syndy

Occupation
Retired
Thanks everyone, it was the floor button, (clutch) sticking. I never use it but must have hit it with my foot when I parked it. Up and running :)

bowen

Occupation
Electrical Panel Builder
Thanks everyone, it was the floor button, (clutch) sticking. I never use it but must have hit it with my foot when I parked it. Up and running :)

I think they were 2 versions of that switch and I had some problem ordering it; maybe the price or a bracket missing...

I replaced the entire switch with a button switch that I mounted in a hole I drilled in the floorplate.

If you have time to read some this thread has lots more information on the 580SE.

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/showthread.php?26356-580SE-Power-Shuttle-Fluid-Question

syndy

Occupation
Retired
Thanks bowen, I read every post on the forum and have for years, never know what you might learn. I have no use for that switch as I only drive in first gear. Once my house is finished the hoe gets sold and we buy a farm tractor. We become farmers kind of like on "Green Acres".

jimr

syndy, after you get your house finished... isn't it time to start building your shop?

bill smith, I missed mine so bad I bought it back from the fella I sold it to:D

syndy

Occupation
Retired
Well we already have the barn built so that becomes the workshop. Need more room, build another! I say sell it when we finish the house but I have a bit of landscaping to do first. Remove and grade about 800 Christmas trees and about an acre and a half of white pines, plus dig a pond. And I am reminded that I have to make about 2 acres good for horses what ever that means then it gets sold.landscape.jpg