• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580SL II parking brake alarm

1reddog48

Hello to all,
I've searched the forum considerably looking for an answer, but can't find one, so I thought I'd ask for some help here.
I have a Case 580SL II that recently began sounding an alarm when I put it in gear (as in clicking the shuttle shift into F or R). It had done this occasionally in the past if the parking brake was not FULLY pressed down in the released position. Now, it does it all the time. It does not sound this alarm in neutral, and if in gear, the alarm will go off if you press the red "neutral" button on the joystick.
I checked the two switches on either side of the axle and they both are adjusted properly, have power and seem to function properly (they switch on and off when tested with a continuity tester).
Is there another switch in this setup that I am missing? I looked over parts schematics and cannot find any switches other than the 2 on the axle that are actuated by the parking brake cable mechanism.
I read in another thread that the parking brake switches on these units can be finicky.
Any and all help is greatly appreciated!
Doug

Billrog

Occupation
band mill , backhoe and dump truck
I've had to repair a couple of emergency brake mechanisms that were warn and sloppy so they would operate the button that the handle presses to activate the alarm. It was painstaking to do so removing it drilling out the rivets and installing nuts and bolts.

1reddog48

I've had to repair a couple of emergency brake mechanisms that were warn and sloppy so they would operate the button that the handle presses to activate the alarm. It was painstaking to do so removing it drilling out the rivets and installing nuts and bolts.
I was wondering if there was another button/switch. I have looked thru the fuse panel access panel looking for a button, but can't find one. Any tips on where to look?
Thanks for the suggestion!

Billrog

Occupation
band mill , backhoe and dump truck
Good you got it the seat switch never entered my mind even though mine buzzes every time I use the machine and don't lock the seat in position.

Fulltiltchris

Thanks for the seat suggestion my 580 sn just started doing it tonight and i was messing with seat forward and back so im guessing its that. Will let you know tommrow..

69zfarmer

I had a alarm on my series 2. But it was in alarm all the time like engine temperature or oil pressure. It turned out to be the engine temperature sensor. It has 2 engine sensors in the coolant. One is for the guage and the other for the buzzer alarm. But this don't sound like your problem.