• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580SL Injection Pump problem

CottageAndy

Hey everyone. I am new to the forum, but have been lurking for quite some time. Excellent resource. It has helped me out many times already. Now I have a problem where I am seeing conflicting information. I had to change the serpentine belt on my 580SL and (after MUCH pain getting the coupler to slide on the spline!) noticed a slow fuel leak at the throttle linkage for the injection pump. I used this forum to find the details on removing the pump and had a local diesel shop put a seal kit in the cover side of the pump. When I got it back i reinstalled and it fired up, but was leaking like a sieve at the cover plate seam. I removed again and took it back to the shop and they fixed it, (hopefully..they said they tried to use a cheap chinese seal for the cover gasket and they sometimes leak...go figure) I reinstalled it and now it won't fire. I read here that it could be 180 out of time if it happened to be at TDC on an exhaust stroke, but every video I've seen on the removal of the pump only show people barring the motor over til the pin slides in and then they lock the pump and that's it. Are they all just getting lucky? I just wanted to ask the question before I take it off again to spin the motor as it's possible that I have another issue, like a weak lift pump. Sorry for the long post. Engine is the 4T-390 and the p.n for the pump is 0460424081 (I think...it's pretty worn) TIA

Last edited:

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
The engine has to b pin timed.. the pin under the pump goes into the cam gear hole for tdc..
and then, the pump has to be set & locked w a dial indicator.. before it goes back on.. They didn’t lock it the 2 x u got it back.?
If no, your taking it back off again..

CottageAndy

Thanks for the response. It was locked both times and the engine was pin locked both times it came off. That's why i started looking into the "180 degree out of time" threads. Nothing seems different this time except that it won't fire.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Unless the pump shop turned the drive shaft c.c. Instead of clockwise & locked the timing.??
Did u bleed the air out by loosening the lines AT the injectors.??
Do u have power at the solenoid.??
Did u notice a slash mark on the pump hsg.?? THATS wear the key shoulda been when locked..

CottageAndy

I only bled the lines at the back of the pump. (1st feed line, then overflow, then the four on the back of the pump) I will crack the injectors and bleed those as well. I didn't bother this time as it fired up the first time without bleeding the injectors. There is a slash mark on the housing and it lines up. I will check the solenoid as well.