• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580sl loader bucket spool sticking

sthomps

Just wondering if anyone has run into the spool valve hanging up after running the bucket all the way up after dumping. You can dump the bucket again, but then you have to force the spool if you want the bucket to return. I unhooked the wiring plug that goes to that spool as I thought maybe it was energized for some reason with no difference. Thanks

sthomps

It's the rollback that is the issue. The link was a great help. It only does it when you rollback until it hits the end of travel. Then it's like it just won't allow the rollback of the bucket unless you force it. I'll have to check the linkage and the spool. Thanks

Goose

It sounds like you are talking about the anti roll back. The loader is designed to start dumping the bucket a little as the loader goes up to keep the load from spilling back on the hood. With the bucket curled all the way back at ground level and raising at about 4-5 feet up the bucket will start to dump and the lever will move just a little. The lever will be hard if you try to curl the bucket after the linkage starts to do its job. At full height you can still dump the bucket but can only curl it part of the way back because the anti roll back linkage will make the lever hard.

rino

Occupation
Drive steel bed Dump Truck for a paving company
Some spools have a spot in them like float for leveling and in some CAT articulating loaders the spool will stick in the up as well as float positions, and so will the bucket. I think CAT calls it normalized controls?? There is a switch on CAT that will turn off normalized controls if my memory serves me right.

DirtIsMyName

My 580L has a float position and a return to dig position that make the controls feel like they are binding but that is the way it is supposed to work. Is this what you are feeling?

sthomps

My 580L has a float position and a return to dig position that make the controls feel like they are binding but that is the way it is supposed to work. Is this what you are feeling?
It does have the return to dig and float positions on the control. How exactly do these work? The manual is very vage when it mentions them.

DirtIsMyName

When you push the controls all of the way forward in those positions it feels like there is a catch and you have to pull the control back past the catch.

sthomps

Was out trying it for a couple minutes tonight. It still seemed to be acting up. After I started to look it over in the shed I noticed that the vertical cable was loose with the bucket on the ground. Then I seen that the return spring on the end of the linkage was not hooked to anything on the end. Should the cable always have tension like I'm thinking? I think that the linkage under the cab will have to come out and the spring re-tensioned.

sthomps

I checked the linkage that runs under the cab from the vertical cable. It seems to be siezed up in the bushing under the cab. Hopefully when we get that free everything will work as described.

melben

Occupation
Retired 50 Yrs with Case dealership
When you get that rod freed up it will be fine. We run into that issue when tradeins sit on the lot a while, a lot of PB Blaster and working back and forth will get it most times. Mel

sthomps

Any advise on how to get the rod out. Ours has a broken return spring on it. I have all the bolts out but it looks like the hydraulic lines need to be loose to get enough room to get it out.

melben

Occupation
Retired 50 Yrs with Case dealership
If that is required then do it but before you do make sure the safety prop is in place and all systems involved are neutralized to remove pressure trapped in the lines, roll the bucket clear down and move the lever back and forth several times. Also remove or loosen the reservior cap to relieve pressure. It;s always easier to get stuff out of the way than working around it. I have lubed many of those rods but never removed any so can't advise you further.

sthomps

Cool, thanks for the tips. It may be a couple days now before I can get to it. And it is working without the leveling right know so its not a big problem like it was when we couldn't curl the bucket.