• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

case 780 impulse buy, so many questions....

NMBlackBetty

Whoa nellie. I ain't the voice of dismay and gloom here. I'm just going for a splash of sanity. A sunbeam ray of reality if you will.

So far I've read tales of repowering, rear axle removal/replacement because we want a locker, numerous custom suspension seat options, and now we're up to tracks. If we put rockets on this bitch we could launch satellites.

What we are going to end up with is a 2wd heavy ass backhoe, in the sands of new mexico. There's a reason it got parked in the weeds 20 years ago, and its not only related to the engine issues.

If it was grandpa's backhoe that saved the family from starving in 1962, sure, its got memories burned into the iron. But I'm looking at a minimum of $10-15,000 in hoses, cylinders, engine work and tires, Party on.
IMG_20231016_9345.jpg

Well at least I can cover the hoses, cylinders, engine work and tires. Should be a great party. Drinks are on me for anyone who wants to come get covered in ancient grease and hydraulic fluid.

NMBlackBetty

I have a 780CK .It has cost me about 1500 in hydraulic hoses and another 1000 for a radiator.I did the brakes and cleaned up the air chambers but i need a new mount for the compessor.I did some work with it and am now considering a rebuild on top end at least cause shes blowing white smoke.Also the hydraulic fluid is leaking into the tranny and going out the breather hole on top side of trans.If you need info i could help probably help but i know that Tinkerer is a good guy and has helped me.Good luck
I may take you up on your offer.

We pressure tested the coolant system today, 99% it had a cracked sleeve and blown head gasket.

Never the less, still ordering pretty much everything to rebuild top to bottom, was on the fence about the rods, but one has a very tiny stress fracure that I could see.

Done playing for the weekend, but am going to start a total disassembly next weekend. Positive I'm going to regret it, and certain my wallet will vomit by the time I get it torn down, but life is short, and I can use it to dig my grave into the next life.

NMBlackBetty

OK, you have money burning a hole in your pocket. Not all of us do for various reasons so don't need you flaunting it.
I think there was a bit of "lost in translation" there. The point wasn't to "flaunt" money. It was to settle down an armchair warrior.

It's easy for people to sit behind a screen and act foolish, say foolish things or be ignorant or rude. Because they are sitting in an armchair behind a screen there are no real world consequences for their behavior. The best way to deal with them is to nullify their behaviors. In this case making thoughtless comments on a thread that he hasn't even read enough of to understand the context of the rebuild. Stating numbers like $10-$15k to try and justify in his mind why his opinion is valid....... the fastest way to nullify that state of illogic Is to make a point that $15k is literally my pocket change. Not to flaunt it, but as the fastest path to ending the ignorance. Far faster than trying to argue with an armchair warrior.

I apologize if I somehow offended you. That wasn't my intent. You've been very helpful on this thread and I was just trying to shut down the clown show before it overtook the thread

renaud

I've restored dozens of old diesel trucks, from 1 ton pickups to a few stewart and stevenson military trucks, a dump truck conversion and an old semi. Never a piece of construction equipment though.

I'm approaching this the same as I have with the old trucks. Even if I think I know something, I assume I don't know it and verify the info before I proceed with every step. If I can find a new part for something, I replace it, right down to the lug nuts, although in this case I need to find 2 new front rims as well as these are dinged up and bent. I won't be repacking the hydraulic cylinders, I'll be looking to buy new ones. And even if it looks fine, I will be replacing every hydraulic line. New seat, glass, pretty much everything. I've seen rebuilt engines for sale around $7,000 but even though it's likely to be more expensive, want the experience of rebuilding this one just to gain the knowledge. I plan on stripping it down to a bare block, sending it off to be machined and powder coated, the rebuilding it myself with as many new parts as I can find. I like to tinker, and like to be wrong so I can learn from it. I'm almost disappointed when I rebuild an old diesel engine and it fires up perfectly the first time as I feel like there is nothing more to learn from it.

I usually send out or replace parts that need to be machined, I have a lathe and welder but that's where my machines end. We have a large sand blaster and paint booth, but that's for cosmetic work if I get it to live again.

All in all, this started out as a $500 impulse buy and in my mind, I saved it from being torched to pieces and hauled off to the scrap yard. If I fail at my engine rebuild, I'll suck it up and buy a reman engine. Same with the Trans. But I don't give up easy.
That sounds like a terrific project!!! I myself HATE to see older machines that still look decent being scrapped. I know next to nothing to mechanic but if you restored that many old trucks, i am very confident you'll be able to do something with that machine. Good luck and keep us updated.
Max.

Welder Dave

A lot of people would question and do fixing up older machines. In most cases it's meant as a warning that it could cost a lot more than the machine is worth in most cases. It might have been better to just take it that someone thought you might be better off looking at a different machine to fix up instead of putting a lot of money into a 780. Would be great to see it brought back to life too.

Last edited:

NMBlackBetty

A lot of people would question and do fixing up older machines. In most cases it's meant as a warning that it could cost a lot more than the machine is worth in most cases. It might have been better to just take it that someone thought you might be better off looking at a different machine to fix up instead of putting a lot of money into a 780. Would be great to see it brought back to life too.
There are a lot of those other older machines. In my eyes the 780 is a rarity. They are big, too big to be practical any more, a 2wd loader is pretty much a useless tool, there is next to no reason to restore one. Hence the appeal to me. If I do this one right, make it something special, maybe modernized it a bit, make it a little more practical, I bet you it will be one of the last 780's to meet the torch and end up at the scrap yard.

It's a lot like the ford mustang GT-M. Under powered with its tiny 289, lacking in any interior comforts, drives like a tank, pretty much an insult to ford to even call it a mustang. You would be hard pressed to find anyone restoring one, but if a guy did, another 50 years from now you would have an ultra rare vehicle.

MG84

"Smart money, of course not"View attachment 303021

Amen man. I'm $130,000usd into a 2006 ford F350 extended cab long bed over my last "hobby build". I could have bought a 2024 F450 platinum with every option for 3/4 or less the money. But Damn is that 06 fun to drive and lord does it drop jaws when people look under the hood and under the truck.
View attachment 303023

Well at least I can cover the hoses, cylinders, engine work and tires. Should be a great party. Drinks are on me for anyone who wants to come get covered in ancient grease and hydraulic fluid.
Yep. Exactly the way I figured this thread would go based on previous comments...

Welder Dave

Comparing a classic Mustang to a 780 is a big stretch. I think there's just a lot of negative propaganda regarding 2 wheel drive backhoes. On firm ground they are just fine. A 780 will do a lot more work than a 580 if you're comparing digging and loading. I did a job where a 780C was brought in to dig up some marshy ground beside a big pond. The backhoe bucket was probably 3 times more capacity than a 580 and it had a lot more reach. It was a productive machine. If it's that muddy or soft you probably wouldn't want anything rubber tired in there, 4x4 or not. Not unlike a skid steer. They are great at many tasks but if's muddy and slimy they are almost useless. There used to be 2 wheel drive loaders like the MF11 that were perfectly capable if the ground was firm. If there weren't mini and midi excavators I think you'd see more big backhoes. They have their place. A lot of people don't think track loaders have much use anymore but there are some that hold them in high regard like CM on this forum. Just because a machine isn't the best in soft and muddy conditions isn't a reason to dismiss it as not usable.

Welder Dave

Yep. Exactly the way I figured this thread would go based on previous comments...
Yeah. Ultimately it's his money so if he wants to spend a big chunk on what others wouldn't that's his choice. Not really that different than guys spending a fortune on classic cars. I'm not sure the ratio but I'd guess over 50% would never get their money back out of it. I don't have that kind of money to even consider it let alone not be worried if I lost it.

crane operator

Yeah, c'mon C.O. What are you thinking, smarting off like this******************
Well if your weather hadn't made a appearance on our doorstep, I've got other things to do. I should know better. Instead here we are......

Anyways, to the original poster, I hope this project goes well for you.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
Can we see some pictures? I’d like to see one of the rod with the stress fracture
I kind of find that comment interesting also. Clear, and concise photos would be nice to follow along closely with.

Not doubting anything as the post of a "stress fracture" is probably a different aspect than what I would call it.

Truck Shop

Lets see---times have changed, there was this dink who built a custom-one of a kind,
at the time no one really cared. See he still hadn't removed all his boomer tendency's
of building stufff. Would he do it today probably not--he was 60 then still had some
ambition, that's long gone now. Was it worth doing-well at the time for him yes it was.
J.G. Wentworth--It's your money waste it the way you want. I think that's what that ad
said. After one is done with a finished project their attitudes change about why they
did what they did---in the end everyone will have forgotten about it, it just becomes
a piece of personal history & no one will really care, it's the same in death for most.
Carry on with your hoe.

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
View attachment 303023

I was mildly interested in a thread where someone would resurrect an old iron, knowing it was stupid and basically useless.
This above is just being arrogant and stupid.
Those who have to flaunt it, ain’t really got it.
I‘m out.

NMBlackBetty

While I'd love to document the process of fixing up this old machine in hopes it may help others along the way or provide some entertainment, I'm old, and I've already raised my kids. Dealing with a bunch of other people's kids on an internet forum while doing my first heavy machinery rebuild has already proven to be more trouble than its worth. I'm a relaxed and fun loving old guy. Yeah I've got some money, I've worked hard my whole life for it, what good is money if you can't do stupid things that you never thought you would be able to do with it. It's entertainment. It's no different than the younger folk blowing money to go to a Taylor Swift concert. To me it's insane, to them, it's the best night of their life at the time.

I feel bad for all of you that either weren't raised with, or have forgotten what a sense of decency or respect is. Entire generations raised behind screens forgetting that on the other side of those screens are other real human beings.

Truth is, it's my money, my project, my entertainment and what I find fun. If I wanted to turn a skidsteer into a flying purple battle tank because it would entertain me, it's my prerogative.

In the end, I think it's time I let this thread die and move on. I got the help I needed and made a few connections with people who can help me in the future if I do get stuck. In my short time here I have found a forum with a young crowd who know nothing about life, an old crowd who take life way too seriously, and a handful of the most genuine and helpful people I have ever found online. For the helpful of you, thanks for the assistance! I have your phone numbers, or email's, or know how to reach you in private on here if I get stuck along this fun and entertaining journey.

For the rest of you......

The meaning and purpose of life, is to live it, so stop taking it so seriously and live already. I hope some day you figure it out.

signing off
-NMblackbetty

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
I respect your stance although don't entirely agree with your analogy. Never like seeing a thread "go south" but there have been some outlandish claims many don't feel are based upon reality leading to the thread's demise.

Hopefully you will return to post photos of your progress as it's "all good" with me. I liked that series of machine very well but was just too big and heavy to be of any practical use. Maybe on a "ranch" you will be able to find consistent use of it once usable, but only you can make that determination.

I wish you luck in your endeavor.

Tinkerer

It is a shame that NMBB was driven away.
His project would have helped a lot people that needed help would have read about the restoration of his 780.
He said early on that he didn't have much interest in using it after it was restored.
I would bet it will be a meticulous restoration.
The picture of his truck showed me his capabilities.

The ruthless criticism of the feller that moved the machine caught my attention also.
I don't know the reason he did it - never will.
Maybe he desperately needed some quick cash or had some other reason.

Steve Favia

Occupation
Retired local 150 Operating Engineer
While I'd love to document the process of fixing up this old machine in hopes it may help others along the way or provide some entertainment, I'm old, and I've already raised my kids. Dealing with a bunch of other people's kids on an internet forum while doing my first heavy machinery rebuild has already proven to be more trouble than its worth. I'm a relaxed and fun loving old guy. Yeah I've got some money, I've worked hard my whole life for it, what good is money if you can't do stupid things that you never thought you would be able to do with it. It's entertainment. It's no different than the younger folk blowing money to go to a Taylor Swift concert. To me it's insane, to them, it's the best night of their life at the time.

I feel bad for all of you that either weren't raised with, or have forgotten what a sense of decency or respect is. Entire generations raised behind screens forgetting that on the other side of those screens are other real human beings.

Truth is, it's my money, my project, my entertainment and what I find fun. If I wanted to turn a skidsteer into a flying purple battle tank because it would entertain me, it's my prerogative.

In the end, I think it's time I let this thread die and move on. I got the help I needed and made a few connections with people who can help me in the future if I do get stuck. In my short time here I have found a forum with a young crowd who know nothing about life, an old crowd who take life way too seriously, and a handful of the most genuine and helpful people I have ever found online. For the helpful of you, thanks for the assistance! I have your phone numbers, or email's, or know how to reach you in private on here if I get stuck along this fun and entertaining journey.

For the rest of you......

The meaning and purpose of life, is to live it, so stop taking it so seriously and live already. I hope some day you figure it out.

signing off
-NMblackbetty
Sorry to hear that sounded like a fun project, was looking forward to pictures, anyway good luc!