• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 850G Operation?

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
I just bought a Case 850G and had a few questions about operating it correctly (No luck finding a manual). I will be using it to clear about 100-150 acres of brush and clear fence rows. After that maybe build a road or two and clean out a few pools.
#1 I think I have the turn levers figured out but am not really sure if it hurts to use the brakes to turn rather than the levers? Also I'm guessing you just shift them at full throttle like a Cat powershift.
#2 It doesn't have a decelarator pedal. Can you just shift forward and reverse at full throttle or do most people use the foot pedal to run the dozer?
The dozer has 3400 hours on it and seems to be in good shape. I plan on servicing it and cleaning it up good this week. I like to keep equipment fairly clean and leak free if possible. Thanks for any help.

Dickjr.

Most people use the foot pedal to accelerate and decelerate , it is easier on the finals to do this. The two speed can be used to turn , shifting under power going the same direction is no problem. Generally I put it in the gear I wanted and used the pedals to steer. Backing up I bump the sticks to high. They are good dozers.

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
I wondered about using the foot throttle to run it. The hand throttle on this one is nearly froze up like they never used it. I plan on greasing the linkages and cables to free it up though.
How about the high/low range, do you need to be stopped to switch between the two?

dirtdobber1

Hi JS,

My experience is with a 550g, which sounds the same as your 850g from a control standpoint. It doesn't hurt to use the brakes to turn but of course there is always wear. The brake pedals have two positions that you may or may not be able to feel. When you slightly press the brake, it releases power to its respective track. When you further depress the brake pedal it then applies stopping force. So I sometimes slightly tap one of the brake pedals to make a turn. And as Dickjr says, the hi/lo/neutral levers can be used to turn also.

My 550g has an accelerator pedal (not decelerator). I can't imagine clearing trees and such without it . I personally would not change speed or direction without throttling down......you will work yourself to death with the hand operated throttle lever. Perhaps you could add the pedal to your machine.

Finally the hi/lo range selector in the floorboard...I don't know the proper way to do this, but what I have to do is have the machine at idle with everything in neutral and very quickly mash the selector and make the change. I very seldom use the hi range.

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
Thanks for the info dirtrobber1. My 850 does have the foot throttle. I've just always heard to run a dozer wide open the decelerate to shift.

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
Oops hit reply to quick to quick. I talked to a guy this morning that has done some work for me with a case dozer and he told me to run it exactly like you guys did. He said you don't run the Case like you do the Cats.
It's been dry here in Tx so maybe I can try it out some this week. Thanks for the replys.

clintm

Occupation
trucking,concrete recycling,grading, demolition
the hi/lo shifter in the floor is most likely stuck. High range is really only good for traveling long distance it's to high to do any pushing. you can put the one of the track speed levers in neutral to turn also or one in high and other in low to power turn. when those tractors where new there where very few hydrostatic dozer available most where still power shift steering clutches and would not apply power to both tracks while turning . also watch your wallet the seats on the G series are very good at working it out of your pocket and losing it down behind the seat I've had to dig more than out from down there:eek:

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
Is there any certain way to switch from high/low or just put everything in neutral and mash the switch like dirtdobber1 says? I think mine is stuck in high. I have everything apart now to service

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
and clean and planned on working to free up the high/low before I put the covers back on.

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
Well the linkage on the 2 speed was froze up just as clintm said it probably was. The part that was froze was the top linkage that is directly operated by the foot pedals after an hour and a half of prying and wiggling I finally got it loose and now the high/ low works smooth. I added a grease zerk so maybe next time it won't be so bad. No telling how long it's been since it was in low range last. Thanks again guys.

clintm

Occupation
trucking,concrete recycling,grading, demolition
You most likely need to clean out around the hydraulic hoses along the top of the blade C frame that goes to the angle and tilt. Be careful poking around them or you will knock a hole in them they may be rusted out if they have not been kept clean. Check the grease hose in the lift tower when you get it clean. Also the ball joint end's on the cylinders are bad about not taking grease. Also on the F-n-R lever there is supposed to be a plastic sleeve on the lever where it rubs on the sheet metal if it's not you need to put some type of sleeve on it. When you run it out of fuel you will have to crack the injector lines on top of engine @injectors and spin it over until you get a good stream of fuel squirting out a couple of them before it will crank yeah been their done that(more than once)

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
Thanks for the advice I will check all that stuff out. I bought it sight unseen and had it shipped. I was a little disappointed in how full of dirt everything was but the undercarriage was better than expected and it seems to run great. I've just about got it cleaned up.