• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 95XT / 85XT Instrument Panel / Relay Flicker / Electrical Fault - Gremlin

leibuys

Hi All; About a week ago i purchased a 2002 Case 95XT. Since i bought it, it would randomly/intermitantly shut down and the display would start to flicker. When this happened it drops our the fuel shutoff solenoid and stalls the machine. It got progresively worse in the week i've owned the machine and now it will fault/flash/flicker a few seconds after ignition power is switched on.
I've spent some hours troubleshooting so far have done the following;
  1. Confirmed battery has a full charge and installed float charger
  2. Cleaned checked and lubricated most electrical connections
  3. Checked and cleaned main machine ground connections from battery through disconnect to engine.
  4. Replaced all 5 relays
  5. Visually inspected wiring harness where it can be seen. Haven't found any broken or damaged wires.
  6. Checked alternator circut / tested resistor/ disconnected alternator (no change)
  7. Checked connectioned to left and right instrument panel (fault still occurs with Left Instrument panel disconnected)
  8. Had some intermitant issues with ignition switch, replaced switch (no change)
I'm really pulling my hair out over this. Had anyone seen or heard of simular issues with these units?
I've attached two short video clips showing the fault.
The machine will start but immiediatly stall out once the display starts to flicker. 2002 Case 95XT would randomly/intermitantly shut down and the display would start to flicker. This drops our the fuel shutoff solenoid and stalls the machine. It got worse in the week i've owned the machine and now it will fault/flash/flicker a few seconds after ignition power is shut down.

Arny L

To me it sounds like a low voltage issue. You said battery was charged, but that doesn't mean it can carry any load. Either do a proper load test on fully charged battery or swap out with new. I guess as a quick dirty test would be to jump it with a jump pack when its acting up, and see if it will go.

leibuys

To me it sounds like a low voltage issue. You said battery was charged, but that doesn't mean it can carry any load. Either do a proper load test on fully charged battery or swap out with new. I guess as a quick dirty test would be to jump it with a jump pack when its acting up, and see if it will go.
Battery is near new, it load tested and holding 12.6v. This evening, I unplugged the Fuel Shut Off Solenoid and the fault went away. I manually engaged the FSS and the unit would run but the controls would not release or engage loader fuction. Seems logical that the FSS is faulty so i ordered a new one. Can anyone explain why unplugging the FSS would correct the issue but the control would not engage?
Thanks...