• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

case roller

jmac

This is my first thread, but I have been looking over site for a while and have found some good information here.
I just purchased a 1990 Case 602bd roller at and auction in Ohio and have to wire money next week. I am wondering if any one has one of these and what can they tell me. The machine has a 70" single smooth drum and around 3000 hours on it. I have shopped for this for some time and found this comparable machine under 25k very hard to find. I hate to spend that much on a roller but we do need it for the site work we do. Any info would be great even if it is not about a Case machine but other types of machines.
Do you think that 70" or 84" is better?
Do you find rollers to be at a high cost of ownership?
Do you find that rollers are going for big money at sales and dealers lots?
Do you think a pad foot is better, ( my thinking is that I can't prep crusher run with pad foot)?
Any other suggestions?
Thank you.

dayexco

we're looking at buying a roller right now, one with a flat skin we can bolt over the pad foots when working with a granular material, use the pads on cohesive soil.

jmac

Finding a roller with the bolt on pad foot drums is even harder to find. I have seen a Case 602bd for around 28k on Iron Planet for sale. That one had both drums. I would think changing them out would not be easy! The one I purchased I gave $22,500. Looked on Iron Planet and none like mine have sold ever at auction, makes comparison shopping a little hard. I have borrowed my friends Cat 84" smooth drum for cohesive soil ( bank run) and it worked fine for parking lot prep. 97% compaction. Then used it for granular same day same site same parking lot.

Last edited:

ror76a

jmac, how are you doing with your roller? I recently bought a Case 602 smooth drum. How do you like yours? Any problems/maintaince issues to look out for?

jmac

Not bad, First one that I have ever owned so have nothing to compare to. Very load, use ear muffs.
Leaks hydro oil but plan on going thru it this winter.
Runs good and does the job fine.
I don't use it every day, use it the least of any of my machines. When I do need it I have it to use and I think I have broke even on owning it. Spend the money on dozer, excavator, skid steer, trailer, garage, dump truck etc. first then add a roller.