• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case TR310, TR340...good/bad?

Mark13

I've only run a TR270 and TR310 and can't say I'm a big fan. Both were traded in before 1k hours so I can't speak for long term durability.

Things I noticed in my time running the machines

Pros:
The windows come out easy for cleaning both sides.
I appreciate my older Takeuchi more after spending time in the newer Case/NH machines.

Cons:
Cheap/flimsy feel to controls, cab interior, and exterior/engine cover and back door.
The side window screens rattle like mad.
Odd center of balance with light attachments on the front.
Cab ergonomics always felt wrong. Weird seat position compared to controls, foot throttle, etc.
One wrong look, thought, bump, breeze and the radio antenna is definitely breaking off.
Overfill the fuel and it ends up down in the belly of the machine.
If used in the woods, farming, etc anything that ends up on the engine cover screen will end up on top of the engine shortly afterwards. Poor design that just fills up the belly of the machine plus lets everything fall onto the top of the engine.
Cleaning the tracks out takes way more time and effort then it should.
The foot throttle is to flat and makes your ankle hurt after a while. It should be tipped up more like a vehicle.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I have had a TR320 and currently a TR340. The 320 had some issues. However the 340 has been very solid. No break downs and approaching 1000 hours. Pushes well, I did counterweight it as I thought it needed more weight when using the BC grader attachment. The side windows are now dampened. All machines now have a HD back door. That used to be an option but is now standard. The foot throttle is elevated just like a car. I have had 4 Alphas and never had one that had a flat foot throttle. My antenna did come off the TR320 (2011 model) have not had that issue with any of them after that machine. They must have addressed that. I have been using the 340 this week moving material on a 5K sf basement 8' 10" in the ground. 84" high capacity bucket and the machine loads, pushes like a champ. There are some things I would like to see changed, the info screen needs to be updated. Changing the speed of the controls is a bit of a challenge if you new to them. I do like the speed and feel. I think it was one of the better EH systems in that regard that I have run. The AC kicks, always starts in cold weather, and the cab stays clean. Perhaps the biggest bonus in this day and age, zero SCR issues and no DPF on top of SCR with the CNH machines. I have two DEF skid steers (TR340 and SV340) and never had a single issue with SCR.

I would definitely get the 340, over the 310 if you work them at. I had a 310 on rent for a Summer a couple years ago and it was fine for lighter stuff, but was not the right machine for what I was needing out of it. I thought maybe I would buy one when I initially put it on rent. However it was a considerable step down from the 340. I was using it to backfill foundations and it was too small (or I am just really impatient). I think if you were prepping concrete or landscaping with it, it would be in its element.