• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case w18 Brake Release to Load on a Trailer

Chris Hyde

I am trying to load up and move a Case W18 wheel loader that does not run. Is there an easy method to release the air / hydraulic brakes ? Compressor was removed and air lines are missing.

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
The only brake that should be holding the machine (if it still actually works) is the brake on the transmission.
You could run a separate air supply from the towing/ haul vehicle to release it, OR release the brake using the separate supply & then disconnect the clevis or the entire chamber.

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Sense the machine has air brakes just air the supply tank up and release the brakes

steve wherley

w 18 brake are not a max type brake, only brake is manual transmission brake the hyd tank is air pressurized and if the pump was removed because of air psi problem could hyd tank cover is loose.

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
The brakes on all Case “W” series looking Anders are air over hydraulic. There is an air chamber for front and rear brakes and a master cyl. for front and rear brakes also.

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
w 18 brake are not a max type brake, only brake is manual transmission brake the hyd tank is air pressurized and if the pump was removed because of air psi problem could hyd tank cover is loose.

So.... you need to find the hydraulic line that goes to the tranny brake and pressurize it... correct? either that or somehow disable that brake spring...

Sorry the only experience I've had with W's wasn't on the brakes :)

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
The W18 has hyd. brakes on each wheel just like a big truck, matter of fact the axles are Eaton or Rockwell axles with drum brakes. The master cyl. for front axle is up by the hyd. tank and the rear master cyl. is on left side of engine kind of under frame just below upper lip of frame. The park brake is attached to tranny and has its own actuator and has mechanical linkage. Here is a link to online parts source https://partstore.casece.com/

Ronsii

Occupation
So were you able to disable the park brake mechanically? or did you have to run pressure to it somehow?

Chris Hyde

Contrary to what I thought it was already off. I was under the impression that it would be applied with no air pressure. Maybe there is residual pressure in the system but I doubt it. Since the engine is seized I disconnected the center driveshaft and jacked up one rear wheel . The wheel turns and the transmission brake is free. Thanks for the help - Now I just need to figure out what to do with the engine....

Ronsii

Occupation
Gotcha :)

As for the engine I'd start by pulling a head and see just how scored the cylinders are.... then put a bunch of acetone/atf mix on em' to free things up.... then head down to the crank and pull some bearing caps... once you see what kind of damage you're up against then you can decide on looking for a different engine or maybe rebuilding.. you never know with seized motors some can handle it way better than others :) Good luck!!!