• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 130G Military Rebuild

Chris91786

Occupation
CAT HE Technician - Ring Power Corp.
We are doing some rebuilds for the CAT Defense program. They are 130g's. We have to convert them from jic to orfs. This is the first one. It's from Camp Blanding in Starke, FL. I didn't have my camera at work when we started the tear down process. I'll post more pics as the machine moves along:

DSC00132.jpg

DSC00133.jpg

DSC00134.jpg

DSC00135.jpg

Chris91786

Occupation
Nah, these ones are from the local Army/National Guard base. Every now and then we get some that go over seas. Honeywell Technologies used to be a big supplier of military machines that needed rebuilds then sent overseas, but I think the contract we had expired and won't be re-newed for a couple months

JGamble

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator - USMC
Gents,

Ahhh....the venerable USMC/USAR 130G CAT. I have been running these tractors now for about 9 years, and been everywhere with them from the swamps of Thailand to the deserts of Southern Iraq. Both the standard version and the version with the Trimble GPS laser leveling system.....outstanding concept, horrible vision, terrible operation...lol. One of the first motor graders I have ever operated [full time] next to a Champion of course.....back to the story. Not a real lover of the front mounted scarifier, not really a viable asset......but hey, cheapest bidder to the government right? Best thing I have to say? :From a government employee, there is enough cab room to sleep in and stretch out and sleep during breaks and over nights in the field....lol. Hopefully uncle sam stays smart and keeps the numerous stick setup and never upgrades to that nasty joystick design. Thanks for this post, it keeps a smile on this old salts face.....

Kind Regards,
Sgt. John Gamble
USMC 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit

Chris91786

Occupation
I couldn't see the military going to the M series graders because of the possibility or of the electrionic systems being taken out in warfare.

And yea, they have the GPS auto grade system on it, and it is a pos lol

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
Gents,

Ahhh....the venerable USMC/USAR 130G CAT. I have been running these tractors now for about 9 years, and been everywhere with them from the swamps of Thailand to the deserts of Southern Iraq. Both the standard version and the version with the Trimble GPS laser leveling system.....outstanding concept, horrible vision, terrible operation...lol. One of the first motor graders I have ever operated [full time] next to a Champion of course.....back to the story. Not a real lover of the front mounted scarifier, not really a viable asset......but hey, cheapest bidder to the government right? Best thing I have to say? :From a government employee, there is enough cab room to sleep in and stretch out and sleep during breaks and over nights in the field....lol. Hopefully uncle sam stays smart and keeps the numerous stick setup and never upgrades to that nasty joystick design. Thanks for this post, it keeps a smile on this old salts face.....

Kind Regards,
Sgt. John Gamble
USMC 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit

Thank you for your service, John!

Tex3406

We have to convert them from jic to orfs.

What don't they like about JIC? ORFS work very well, but I wouldn't have thought it was worth converting from one to the other. Is it to get all their machinery on the same hydraulic fittings type? I have always thought JIC to be quite good. Seems a lot of hassle.

Are they early G models? The 12G graders I have worked on had ORFS fittings, but maybe they were of later production.

Chris91786

Occupation
I really don't know why they want to convert them, I think it's kinda wierd. The machines are early-mid 80's G series.

Chris91786

Occupation
Here's some more

Attachments

• DSC00136.jpg
    DSC00136.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 1,990
  • DSC00137.jpg
    DSC00137.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 1,981
  • DSC00138.jpg