• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 2017 259d loses power and is sluggish

Cgray

So, this morning, all fuses are getting 12v as well as all 3 relay pin 30 getting 12v, but no power to the plug connection for the priming pump.

heymccall

I keep seeing "mine don't look like that".
The image I posted earlier is from my 262D3, and is the same as yours, save my image only has two relays. Yours has three.
I think the issue here is that you haven't lifted the cab, as my image is the back wall of the cab, after the cab is tilted up.
I confirmed this after Nige sent the machine specific schematic.Screenshot_20230517-104604_Drive.jpg
#47, 48, & 49.

You are looking behind the cab, right?

Cgray

Yes, behind the cab, backside of fuse box, was saying “mine doesn’t look like that”, due to having 3 relays and more cartridge fuses to be specific, but your picture may be misleading to my eyes

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
OK, looking at wire colours coming out of the 3 relays in your photo above it's easy to identify which is which. They are exactly as they are laid out on the schematic. The relays supplying the two halves of the fuse panel are the centre and the RH ones.
So, this morning, all fuses are getting 12v
I'm not sure I completely understand. Does that mean you have power back to both halves of the fuse panel now.?

Cgray

Now, as we chat, the fuses are barely getting readings, earlier this morning I was getting full voltage

Cgray

HMC, I have done that repeatedly, there’s no power going to the priming pump, it’s supposed to be clicking while it’s priming. I’ve check the voltage going to the plug and the is no power.

Nige

Now, as we chat, the fuses are barely getting readings, earlier this morning I was getting full voltage
On your photo there are some weird "colours" on some connectors around the relays. A sign of condensation/corrosion maybe.? Open everything up, get in there with aerosol contact cleaner as a start.

This situation would be especially true on a 5 year-old machine with only 180 hours on it.

Cgray

The whitish color is from the marker as a inspection check. The have green and white marks all over fittings, connections etc

Nige

Two things IMO.
1. Your battery is goofed. Should be 12.6-12.7v when full charged.
2. You have a major voltage drop somewhere in the system if you are losing 1.3v between the battery and the fuse panel. Back to my previous comment about corrosion/contamination.

Cgray

Well, now I’m taking the fuse block off to change a stud that I broke off, and trying to get the stripped Phillips head out of the front of the fuse block…. Not a good day