• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 216B with Perkins 3024 Failure

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I would put a rebuilt engine back in it for 6K and dump it. If you repower it, you have to fab it in and resale will take a huge hit cause few people want a machine that has been specially fabricated to install a different engine. It simply would not be worth it unless you plan on keeping it forever in which case a different engine option becomes more viable. Still the PINTA tax is always high on those types of conversions and personally the machines are not worth the effort in my opinion.

MiJo

Following up on this. I have a new replacement perkins engine coming that I bought directly from DiPerk out of Vancouver Canada. I was hesitant to go with another perkins but they assured me that the new tier 4 engine is the best and all glitches with the oil pumps have been worked out.... They are also offering me a 2 year/3000 hour warranty and giving me a full refund on my core even though my block is cracked and the engine seized. Its supposed to be a plug and play engine which is what i was after just for ease of install. So, with the engine coming Im currently scouring this site for tips on engine removal. If any body has any tips on engine removal or a relevant link that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

jjaphipps22

Just an FYI, I have a Caterpillar 216 it has the 3024C engine as well. This engine is a Shibaura, Perkins, Caterpillar joint build. The engine starts as a Shibaura N844L, the other matches are Perkins 404-22, and finally Caterpillar 3024C. I had a New Holland tractor that needed a rebuild due to a spun rod bearing and I was able to buy a brand new N844L for $3,000 as the EPA wants these engines out of circulation due to emission regulations. Just a thought if you are looking for manuals or parts.

DIYDAVE

Whered'ya pick up that motor, for that price? I gotta ASV RC30, wif a 3013 Cat, might be looking for one for it, sometime soon.

jjaphipps22

It was from a New Holland dealer out of Luray, Virginia. I cannot remember the name of the business but they are still in business, they are the one's who pointed me in the direction of buying a new engine as they knew about the EPA wanting all these new engines gone.

jjaphipps22

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:I think the Shibaura built engines are great. The ones used in Ford/New Holland tractors from the late 80’s to early 2000’s are some of the best small Diesel engines ever built. They rival yanmar and anyone else in that day and time. Some of the more current issues could be related to the stricter emission requirements, I am not sure as I do not own newer machines. The only reason I had to replace the engine in my tractor is because the lady I bought it from grandson tried to bush hog a field with no oil in the tractor due to a deteriorated oring on the drain plug bolt and I guess he didn’t notice all the oil on the ground before starting. :rolleyes: