• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 246 Hydraulic Question???

tdrewcock

Hey Guys. I just recently purchased a use Cat 246 and I have noticed the hydraulics seem whiny at times. Usually travelling forward. How much whine is normal? Is there a fix if it is abnormal? Thanks.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
The Cat drive motors are some of the quietest in the industry. They will be noisier in extreme cold until the oil warms up but in regular use should be fairly quiet. You say you bought the machine used, do you know the hydraulic oil and filter are in good shape?

tdrewcock

The hydraulic filter looks fairly new and is a genuine cat filter. The hydraulic oil looks ok but is due to be changed at 2000hrs and it has 2052 on it now. I may just be over sensitive but I think the noise is hydrualic pump noise. You now the sound you get from an automotive power steering pump when it has air in it or low on oil. It may just be that the hydraulics need to warm up. I just bought it and haven't really given it any kind of work yet.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
I may just be over sensitive but I think the noise is hydrualic pump noise. You now the sound you get from an automotive power steering pump when it has air in it or low on oil.

Both my 24X series have howled a bit. I can't really say because I can't hear your machine bit I thinks its just the normal noise they make.

tdrewcock

I guess I'll just change the hydraulic oil and filter and monitor it. Does anyone think that I would benefit from a certain type of hydraulic oil and do they make synthetic oil or additives for noise. By the way, anyone know the easiest way to flush out the old oil on a 2002 Cat 246? Thanks, Tim

Last edited:

Dr. W

Occupation
Pilot for major airline
The Cat drive motors are some of the quietest in the industry. They will be noisier in extreme cold until the oil warms up but in regular use should be fairly quiet. You say you bought the machine used, do you know the hydraulic oil and filter are in good shape?

Very true!

Good advice..

If the machine is still in warranty use only CAT hyd Oil.