• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 246C parking break won’t release

shenlgu zhou

No. Since there’s no warning light, I didn’t install the ET to see the active code. I bought a adapter come together with a 2019 ET copy, it has to be reinstalled each time because it expired within hours

Mark250

Occupation
heavy equipment technician
my 2 cents worth. disconnect the aftermarket turbo timer and check again. i have seen them cause some strange problems over time

shenlgu zhou

I had a similar issue with my 262c and it was a left joystick sensor remedied by replacing the joystick. Best bet is to pull codes and see what you're working with before dropping $550 on a joystick assembly
Finally it is the left joystick’s fault base sensor that caused my 246C park brake stay engaged. The tricky thing is that there is no alerts at all. But if study the joystick’s position value by percentage, it is abnormal. I confirm this issue by swapping left joystick base with right hand one. Park brake can be released right away, working cylinder keep extending while the joystick is in neutral position. This explains why the ECM won’t allow park brake been released, if not the fault joystick will continually send signal of wheeling even the joystick is untouched.
No alarms for this fault, will need experiences to solve this issue. Technician from Caterpillar dealer should be quite familiar with this issue, it should be easy for them to identify this issue.