• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 248B skid steer hard start after sitting

Ryan Hudson

I have a 248B skid steer ser #SCL01726 that will take a long time to start after sitting overnight. I noticed the fuel pump will not turn on with the key in run position or even when cranking. Once the engine is running the fuel pump turns on. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the pump should be on as soon as you turn the key to the run position. If it is supposed to be on does anyone know what I should check next?

heymccall

Ryan Hudson

Pump runs only after started, or after a failed Crank. To prime fuel filter, leave seat bar up and attempt to crank, and don't shut off after crank.
As for the issue at hand, my gut, and experience, say that the oring between the fuel filter and the sediment bowl is missing.

Post #2 here
https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/cat-262c-driveability-fuel-issues.72111/#post-751940
Thanks for the info! I went ahead and replaced the fuel filter even though it had under 200 hrs on it. The old one had the o-ring and looked to be in good condition. I replaced the o-ring for good measure. I will let it sit overnight and see what happens. I'm thinking it will still have the problem. I must have fuel pressure slowly leaking down overnight somewhere. Maybe a fuel injector?

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Is this the supply pump that's "on top" of the filter assembly?? if so, its supposed to start w/ the key in the "on" position.. They go bad all the time {junk}.. & they aren't cheap either..
I just looked it up & if this is a 3044 engine?? the starting directions are, turn the key to the "on" position for 30 seconds & THEN attempt to start the engine.. {30 seconds!!??}

I doubt its an injector.. does it skip or miss, right after start-up??
Is there a hand pump/primer on it anywhere..??
If its not TO MUCH trouble, can u cut a rubber line anywhere & put a "boat" squeeze bulb on it.??
Obviously, fixing the problem would be preferred.

Last edited:

heymccall

Directions in O&M manual are wrong. Pump on filter head does NOT activate in RUN. Activation doesn't occur until in CRANK. My 248B has been like this since new, and now has over 7k hours.
Again, leave seat bar up, turn key to crank, and then run, and pump will run.

Ryan Hudson

Directions in O&M manual are wrong. Pump on filter head does NOT activate in RUN. Activation doesn't occur until in CRANK. My 248B has been like this since new, and now has over 7k hours.
Again, leave seat bar up, turn key to crank, and then run, and pump will run.
I tried this when I did the fuel filter and I can confirm you are correct. I can also confirm the book is wrong because my book said to turn to run but do not start. That is why I thought the pump should run in the on position.

Ryan Hudson

Is this the supply pump that's "on top" of the filter assembly?? if so, its supposed to start w/ the key in the "on" position.. They go bad all the time {junk}.. & they aren't cheap either..
I just looked it up & if this is a 3044 engine?? the starting directions are, turn the key to the "on" position for 30 seconds & THEN attempt to start the engine.. {30 seconds!!??}

I doubt its an injector.. does it skip or miss, right after start-up??
Is there a hand pump/primer on it anywhere..??
If its not TO MUCH trouble, can u cut a rubber line anywhere & put a "boat" squeeze bulb on it.??
Obviously, fixing the problem would be preferred.
It is a 3044. Runs smooth once it starts. The pump is good. When the key is in run there is no power to the pump. It is designed this way like the previous post said. I'm not surprised the book is wrong.

heymccall

Just outta curiosity, why doesn't it or why wouldn't u want it, to run when the key is in the "on" position??

That is certainly a very legitimate question, and, the way it operates does seem, well, odd. I can assure you that, back in 2004, I ran it up the flagpole thru my dealer service department, and the TAs, and none of them had an answer. Actually, my question was, 'how do you prime the fuel system on my 248B?"
They're answer was "Like in the book."

Ryan Hudson

Good news, it started right up this morning. Maybe seal between the filter and bowl was bad or the fuel filter had some other problem. I will let you know if the problem comes back but as of now it's fixed.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
U "could" take the wires that run off/to it & re-route them, either to a toggle switch or to the actual key switch to the "on" position..
I know I would, if my machine wouldn't start.. or I was wearing out my starter & battery before it started.
1 thing I just thought of> find out where it connects, hopefully its a plug.. & apply 12v to the plug for a few seconds..force it to run. {alligator clips off the battery} THEN turn the key & see if the engine starts.. THAT will tell u if u need to do "something" about the supply pump..
Good luck Ryan.

heymccall

Why? Just leave seat bar up, turn to crank, then leave key in run. It (the stanadyne 12v FM100 priming pump) will run until the key is turned to off.