• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 257B Aux hydraulics only work in one direction

CotterFCattle

Hello all,

I have a cat 257b serial # SLK05001 I purchased a while back. I am having trouble with the aux hydraulics for a grapple, etc. This is a high flow machine so it has a thumb wheel. Here is what it is doing:

- Pull the thumb wheel down and hydraulics function correctly. With no tool on it labors trying to push oil.
- Release thumb wheel and machine keeps laboring.
- Push thumb wheel up and it quits.
-Pushing up does not make it push oil in other direction.

Please note that I DID try replacing the thumb wheel. I was positive that was the problem, and it was not. Luckily CAT let me return an $1150 handle....

I have tested the solenoids on the valve and they both show the same amount of resistance with a multimeter.

I have used a test light to verify that the connector to one solenoid is receiving power, but the other is not.

Therefore, I have an issue somewhere between the switch harness and the wire that connects to the solenoid. Where should I go next?

I saw that there is something in troubleshooting info from cat about what to do if the switch only works in one direction, but I have not been able to find it.

Thanks!

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
- Pull the thumb wheel down and hydraulics function correctly. With no tool on it labors trying to push oil.
- Release thumb wheel and machine keeps laboring.
- Push thumb wheel up and it quits.
-Pushing up does not make it push oil in other direction.
Let me get this right. So rolling the thumbwheel back to the neutral (centre) position does not shut off the AUX hydraulics and you have to roll it all the way in the other direction to get the AUX to shut off.?

Have you inspected the electrical connections on the ECM yet.? what sort of condition are they in.?

CotterFCattle

I have a partial schematic but not the full one.

Correct, merely releasing the thumb wheel does not shut it off. I have to go into the other direction or the machine will continue pushing oil.

No I have not, where is the ECM located? I got lost tracing the wires through the harness.

Nige

No I have not, where is the ECM located? I got lost tracing the wires through the harness.
I’ll try to find some diagrams of the ECM location and send you a full electrical schematic as well.

One of the first tests to do when you have the schematic will be to measure the output voltage from the thumbwheel switch in various positions.

CotterFCattle

Are you saying you still suspect a switch problem even though I put a new handle and switch on? It still seems like a switch issue except for that, but obviously there is some amount of signal happening when I push the thumb wheel up....

Nige

Are you saying you still suspect a switch problem even though I put a new handle and switch on? It still seems like a switch issue except for that, but obviously there is some amount of signal happening when I push the thumb wheel up....
Not necessarily. I was interested to see the switch output and then go to the ECM and confirm that what’s coming out of the switch is actually making it to its destination.

EDIT: Here's the chassis wiring. The ECM for the Work Tool Control is #20, mounted in the RH footwell.

Attachments

• Chassis Wiring.pdf
    742.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Nige

Locate the 12-pin connector directly below the joystick. The pin numbers will be moulded on to both halves of the connector. You'll need attachments for your multimeter to measure voltage in the pins without unplugging the connector.
With key ON engine OFF measure the voltage between Pins 1 & 2. It should be 8.0 +/- 0.5v.
Measure the voltage between Pins 3 & 2 with the thumbwheel switch in the centre, then with it rolled all the way in both directions. Report your findings.

1710003762675.png

Nige

Sorry I failed to mention that the measurements should be repeatable to within +/-0.1v no matter how many times you do them. So for example if the first voltage measurement for the centre position of the thumbwheel is 4.55v then if you measure it a dozen times all the others should be in the range between 4.45 & 4.65v. The same tolerance range applies to the maximum and minimum measurements.

Once you have the results at the switch move to the ECM and measure the voltage arriving there on Pins 52 & 53. These are the same wires P996 Green & P997 Brown that come from Pins 2 & 3 of the 12-pin connector at the switch. Again measure 3 positions of the switch and record your results.

CotterFCattle

ok, we tested as you specified. Pins 2 and 3 deliver:
- 4.04-4.09 in center position
- 1.9 in down position
- 6.28 in up position

Testing between pins 52 and 53 I get the exact same numbers with several repetitions and very minimal change.

What pins do I use to check coming out of the ecm?

Philip

Nige

So those numbers confirm that there is nothing wrong with the roller switch or the wiring as far as the ECM and that the required signals are getting to it.

On the output side you need to measure between Pins 40 & 42, then between Pins 58 & 42. Pin 42 is common.
One of those pairs powers the AUX A1 solenoid and the other pair powers AUX A2. I don't know which way the roller switch has to move to power which pair but I'm sure you'll figure it out.
Test with key switch ON, engine OFF. All wiring harness connector remain plugged in.
Test both at the ECM end and the solenoid end. Use the wire colours/numbers at the solenoid end to identify which is which.
You will need the cab raised for the second test. The AUX solenoids are mounted on opposite ends of the main implement control valve.

1710093614703.png
1710093684281.png

CotterFCattle

Ok these numbers line up with what I am seeing as well.

Between 40 and 42 it shows nothing in the center position. When I push the switch down it shows -2.65. When I release the button it does not return to 0. When I push the button up it returns to 0

Between 42 and 58 it shows 0 with the switch in the center position or up position. In the down position it shows a slight negative of -.029

So this means my ecm is bad??

CotterFCattle

Ok I will do that. So you’re saying if it worked differently with those disconnected there could be a solenoid issue right?

What is that specific ecm called and what is the part number for it?

Nige

So you’re saying if it worked differently with those disconnected there could be a solenoid issue right?
Potentially yes. while you are in there disconnecting A-C24 & A-C25 also test the resistance of the solenoid coils for A1 & A2. It should be 2.2 ± 0.2 ohms.
What is that specific ecm called and what is the part number for it?
It's called the Aux Hyd Control ECM and the Part Number I see for it is 216-0658. There may be a newer Part Number than that and there also might be the opportunity for a Reman ECM which would have a Part Number something like 10Rxxxx or 20Rxxxx. You would have to ask your dealer Parts Dept. Before condemning an ECM it's worthwhile doing all the tests that can be thought up, and few more besides, mostly because of the cost.

I take it from your OP that the AUX function has never worked since you have owned the machine.?