• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 257B Parking Brake Won't Release

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Where to start.? A Serial Number would be a good idea.

Next please can you give some back story as to how the situation you have now developed. Did the machine literally stop in its tracks while working, working one day wouldn't work the next, gradually got worse until the park brake wouldn't release, etc, etc.?

Exactly what happens when you try to release the park brake.?

Also do the implement hydraulics (bucket lift/tilt) work.?

Last one. Do you or anyone you know have access to Cat ET diagnostic software.?

RentalTech

Good afternoon, So the unit does not actually belong to me, it is a buddies. I finally was able to go look at the machine today. The serial number is CAT0257BVSLK01515. The machine starts, all hydraulics work, and if you push the parking brake switch and push on the lever, the machine tries to move, but will not release the parking brake. I bypassed both the seat switch and the lap bar switch to no avail. It is not an enclosed cab, so there is no door switch. I do not know anyone with the Cat software.

Nige

I bypassed both the seat switch and the lap bar switch to no avail. It is not an enclosed cab, so there is no door switch.
The door switch only stops the implements from working. nothing to do with the park brake/drive system.
The machine starts, all hydraulics work, and if you push the parking brake switch and push on the lever, the machine tries to move, but will not release the parking brake.
If the machine tries to move then I don't think the problem is with the electrical side of the parking brake. Does the park brake light go off when you press the switch.?

Nige

The parking brake light does go out when you activate the switch.
In that case an electrical problem with the park brake is unlikely IMHO.

Moving on...... you stated "push on the lever, the machine tries to move". By the sound of it you are hearing the drive system hydraulics load up, but can you SEE movement of both final drives, even if it is only a couple of degrees of rotation in each direction.?

Now, which of the three statements below best describes how the machine got to the point where it won't move.?
1. The machine was working fine, tracking back & forth, when suddenly it stopped dead as though the park brake had been applied.
2. The machine was working fine when parked up in the evening. Following day after startup - no mevement.
3. The "parking brake failing to release" has been there a while and has slowly got worse over time until now the machine won't move.

RentalTech

So I was at the machine by myself and was unable to see if the final drives were moving any. And as far as how it got to the point its at now, I am unsure. I will ask the owner about that tomorrow, and will probably be back to look at the machine this coming week.