• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 257b Track install

BrockSampson

I am not able to install the tracks on my 257b. I confirmed the size with CAT and taken manual measurements and they all match. However they are incredibly tight. I have removed the tension bar and the front idler. I have zero slack to get the front idler back on. I have searched the internet high and low and cannot find a video or any info for my skid steer. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

phil314

Occupation
Instigator of Choas
Sounds like your doing it right. Just maybe need to pull the track forward like this guy.

Arny L

The other thing that helps, is to soak the wheel and track with mixture of dish soap and water, make everything slide much easier.

Arny L

I usually pull from the outboard side of track with ratchet strap. Angle wheel sharply to start, spray with soap, dead blow the wheel towards the spindle, it should pull the track into alignment. Also check your not riding on top of drive sprocket with rubber tooth. Sometimes if your sitting to high off the ground, the track can drop to much, then you would need floor Jack to hold up.