• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 259D Backup Camera Not Working

Mattpw1

About a week ago the backup camera would not work in my 2017 Caterpillar 259D. Machine will not show the camera icon on the display. I have power to the camera, no visible abrasions in the wire, fuse is good. I reset the display, holding the outer two buttons for 5 seconds, no change in status. Anyone else experience camera problems on their D series or D3?

Oddly enough, my 2020 259D3 has always had an intermittent camera issue from new, no idea whats causing that either. Tried swapping that camera into the D and it didnt work. Before spending 709 for a camera, anyone else have any troubles?

673moto

Occupation
Slacker
Good riddance! That camera is worthless in anything other that absolute perfect conditions!

edit:
I got a dash cam for my truck that clips onto the rear view mirror and records front view and has a remote cam for the rear... I’d do that rather than replace the stock unit, would be nice to have video too in case anyone tries to say you ran into something on the job

ADAM BYLER

I HAVE A 2020 259D3,, same issue, no camera icon and cant find problem, fuse is good, wire is good as i inspected every inch of it, power to the back by camera, any ideas would be appreciated, I dont want ad a external camera if i dont have to. Thanks

Catdidrun

I had that problem when my 259d3 was under warranty, cat replaced the camera and it was fine until last week. Screen flickers, rolls, turns b&w, gets dim and goes black during reverse operation. Guages work fine in forward direction. I priced the camera today and they said it was $689.72 plus tax! Ridiculous! I am looking for an aftermarket camera that will just plug in directly.

Catdidrun

I had that problem when my 259d3 was under warranty, cat replaced the camera and it was fine until last week. Screen flickers, rolls, turns b&w, gets dim and goes black during reverse operation. Guages work fine in forward direction. I priced the camera today and they said it was $689.72 plus tax! Ridiculous! I am looking for an aftermarket camera that will just plug in directly.
Only 240 hours on machine, hasn't even made it to the first service intervial.