• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 262c quick coupler drops attachments

Kevin Finley

2008 cat 262c MST01245

When backdragging or dumping aggressively my quick hitch pins will drop my attachment. Upon closer inspection the arms on the pins are staying locked and in tbe proper position held by hydraulics, but the spring on the “driver” side will compress and allow the pin to retract upward as soon as pressure is placed on the wedge pin.

I can’t see anything visually wrong with this side vs the other.

Is this a common issue? Bad springs? It’s super annoying and dangerous

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
The biggest cause of this I typically see (assuming the pins are not moving) is the top lip gets bent up where the coupler grabs the bucket. Next is the pin holes at the bottom of the bucket, they get bent or wallow out.

Kevin Finley

Oh the pins are definitely moving. If I tip the bucket forward and put pressure on the cutting edge I can watch the left pin push itself back up.

Are the springs really all that keeps the pins down? It would seem they'd have to be very strong to not compress while backdragging or using attachments requiring downforce

heymccall

The springs should be approx 80% compressed when attached to a bucket. As stated above, either the top lip is worn, the bottom holes are worn, or the bottom lip is bent, all on the attachment.

Scott stryker

Had same problem on my Gehl. Very annoying. I replaced the springs and it didnt help. Happened with all attachments. As a temporary fix I took grease fittings out and installed a bolt of the same thread pitch with a jam nut and locked the pins in place. I put the grease fittings back in when I wanted to grease it. About a month later I determined that the upper edge which grabs the attachment was in fact worn and allowing movement. welded a quarter inch steel piece to top edge of coupler and it solved my problem.