• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 279D fuel problems?

bennyaus

On the day i had someone coming out to potentially buy my machine i was running around doing some things and suddenly rpm drops and stalls. Start it up, starts in low RPM and stalls. I thought maybe a clogged filter, i pulled them both off, cleaned them, reinstalled, turned to ignition and they filled. Still no solution. Any suggestions as to what may be the culprit here? I tried to upload a video but it didnt work.

bennyaus

Thanks for the reply, here is the additional info. 3200 hours

Attachments

• 20221101_185749.jpg
    20221101_185749.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
  • 20221101_185757.jpg
    20221101_185757.jpg
    934.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 20220819_122726.jpg
    20220819_122726.jpg
    683.2 KB · Views: 17

bennyaus

Am I correct that the strainer is first, then the pump, then into the other bigger filter? If so, after removing both filters and replacing them, when put the key to ignition, both filters filled quickly with fuel, so I would think that's not clogged, it may be further down the line?

heymccall

You may very well have an engine/ fuel injection or even electrical problem. It's just that EVERY skidsteer and CTL here has had debris restrictions in the supply circuit. Yours is new enough that an inlet screen was added by Caterpillsr at production time. Mine (all but one) are older and have since had an inlet screen added.

Do you have the advanced display where fault codes can be retrieved?

bennyaus

All of the following are logged events, not active at the time.

E459-2 engine rated horsepower output changed engine power rating mismatch.

E570-2
Unexpected right motor forward speed detected check the motor speed sensor and wiring

E875-2
Low system voltage check the battery and alternator

523602-0
Aftertreatment regeneration frequency high-most severe

bennyaus

All of the following are logged events, not active at the time.

E570-2
Unexpected right motor forward speed detected check the motor speed sensor and wiring

E875-2
Low system voltage check the battery and alternator

523602-0
Aftertreatment regeneration frequency high-most severe

bennyaus

Another thought I had is from memory whe. I first opened the back up after this happened, the large fuel filter was not full, and I don't think it got full until I pulled both off and cleaned them. If there was a blocked filter, meaning fuel stopped going to the engine, do I have to bleed the lines of air? Prime it in some way other than just leaving it im ignition for 30seconds?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
First comment. You can't upload videos direct. Upload it to YouTube and link it seems to work best.

I would strongly suggest that you disassemble and clean the screen in the pump as HMC suggested before proceeding further. If it does nothing else it will at least eliminate the possibility of a partial blockage.
That could be the kicker. Try this thread. You may need an electrical schematic in which case that will require the Serial Number.
https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/cat-259d-no-crank-e459-2-code.90279/

Last edited:

bennyaus

First comment. You can't upload videos direct. Upload it to YouTube and link it seems to work best.

I would strongly suggest that you disassemble and clean the screen in the pump as HMC suggested before proceeding further. If it does nothing else it will at least eliminate the possibility of a partial blockage.
That could be the kicker. Try this thread. You may need an electrical schematic in which case that will require the Serial Number.
https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/cat-259d-no-crank-e459-2-code.90279/

If the filter/screen being talked about is one if these circled, I have cleaned those. If not where would that be. The filter on the left when this first happened was only about 1/4full. After cleaning they immediately filled.

I will look into that thread but won't be able to look into it until I am home with the machine. That code wasn't showing as an active code at the time. Gtl04439 is serial.

Attachments

• 20221101_185757.jpg
    20221101_185757.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 18

Vetech63

I thought maybe a clogged filter, i pulled them both off, cleaned them, reinstalled
Cleaning them doesn't work unless it's a screen. Once water gets into the paper of the filter it acts like a plug. I just dealt with this problem on a paving machine yesterday.

bennyaus

Cleaning them doesn't work unless it's a screen. Once water gets into the paper of the filter it acts like a plug. I just dealt with this problem on a paving machine yesterday.[/QSerial.
I cleaned them with clean diesel, by pouring it in and shaking it around. I'm sure it's not perfect, but it visibly looked better.

Nige

If the filter/screen being talked about is one if these circled, I have cleaned those.
It's the smaller of the two you circled. That one you can clean or replace, Part Number 416-5884.
The larger element should not be cleaned, only replaced. Part Number 363-5819. There are also two O-Rings on it that come separately, 4L-7711 & 483-6423.

bennyaus

I am trying to understand the fuel system. Can someone please explain where I am wrong, I have a rough drawn photo for reference.
Fuel goes from main tank to small particle filter, through priming pump and to the water separator/filter.
From this point I'm unsure of flow.
There are 2 lines that go from there to a secondary tank, what is the flow here, one goes to the bottom, one tees off the top to the fuel injector pump? There is also another line from the secondary tank to fuel injector pump? What is the flow of this?

Then there is another line that goes from the back of the secondary tank to main tank, is this an overflow back to main tank?

It's not easy to get a photo of what I am calling the fuel injector pump, but this is the best I have. Is there an imv valve that's there that I would have to check, is there a good photo of this so I could know what I'm looking at.20221102_170757.jpg Screenshot_20221102_171407_Gallery.jpg

bennyaus

Third line goes through relief valve (preventing filter overpressure) and back to tank.
View attachment 271552
345-3516 is the part number.
Valve assy- relief
So in this picture full pressure fuel would be coming out on 5, 9 is a pressure valve, and then on 4 it would be out to the high pressure pump. All other hoses are some sort of overflow or relief, is that correct?

Nige

So in this picture full pressure fuel would be coming out on 5, 9 is a pressure valve, and then on 4 it would be out to the high pressure pump. All other hoses are some sort of overflow or relief, is that correct?
Be careful referring to #9, that is a hose clip and it appears everywhere.
From HMC's illustration above.......
The filter has two connections on the side and one on the top. The inlet and outlet are on the side and should be marked with arrows (circled) indicating direction of flow.
Fuel comes from the tank to the transfer pump via hose #21C, then from the pump to the filter via hose #21B and an inlet elbow connection on the filter housing.
The outlet connection (a straight fitting) feeds fuel to the HP fuel pump via hose #5, 1-2psi check valve #1, & hose #4. The purpose of the check valve is to prevent the HP fuel pump from being directly exposed to transfer pump pressure.
The connection on top of the filter has a relief valve (highlighted) to prevent over pressure and provides a return to tank line for fuel via hose #21A.

upload_2022-11-3_9-58-10.png