• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 289 high flow first 60hrs!

Dr. W

Occupation
Pilot for major airline
The machine is a solid machine with alot of improvements.

Very easy to service!

The engine program checked and reloaded and the RPMs (full power) found to be 70 RPM low.

The rear idler was replaced by CAT to insure that there would be no track problems. The ride is smooth and quiet. Track adjustment is now a breeze!

The fuel burns are about the same as the 287 using standard flow.

The Cab has great vis and the seal is good. (The dirt stays out!)

The E/H controls I am used to and they have a bit of a lag however, no hill for a climber! This will give CAT something to work on..

Moved some big trees with the grappel bucket and it handles at bit better than the 287 with heavy loads. (Well balance)

Runs high flow tools real well!

sharpdog

Sounds great, nice to hear a positive report. Do you have any pics of the log haul? Perhaps someday I will own one of those. I just entered the skidsteer world with the 277B.

Stick Pro

How is you 89 holding up so far, I just pcked up a 79 today to demo, and see how much I like the undercarrige, so far so good. We are going to make our final decision on whitch machine we are goin to purchase this week. It is going to be either the t320 with roller suspension or the 289. U said u had a roller fixed what was wrong with it? Has anyone had any problems with the bobcat roller suspension?

PDG X

Occupation
Owner Operator
CAT now has 3 'levels' of adjustment for the C-Series E/H controls. It can be a adjusted by you if you have the overhead AMICS console. If not, ask the dealer what level is active in your machine. If you want quicker E/H control, you want level 2 (or 3 for VERY fast response). They can flash a higher level in about 5 minutes.

PDGX

PDG X

Occupation
Owner Operator
I have AMICS on my machine so I can switch any time I want.

But I think level 2 is real close to the older pilot controls. The delay is almost completely gone at level 2. At level 3, it is very responsive for use if you are in an open area, as it reacts immediately and is faster than the older pilot control machines.

This was a huge improvement in control response. See your dealer as they can flash it on to your machine in about 5 minutes. If you don't have AMICS, you will have to chose 1, 2, or 3 as you can only have one setting w/o AMICS. I'd suggest 2.

PDGX
CAT D3C
CAT 236
CAT 247B
CAT 256C
& Lotsa Tools

LanceNE

Occupation
Land clearing/Fuels reduction
279 c Track problem

Hello, I'm new to this forum....

Just bought a 279 c and am using it for tree clearing.
Running side by side with my 287 c....but in 40 hours
I have had 4 tracks come off the 279.

Cat salesman said there is a double idler wheel for the
back...anyone have experience with this?
Will it fix the problem?
We are in pretty extreme conditions...very steep and some stumps,
but no problems will keep tracks on the 7 series.

Any thoughts would be of great help!!

Thks

Dr. W

Occupation
Pilot for major airline
Yes sir, it will fix the problem!

I fly for a major airline and am on a 4 day trip however, will be happy to talk about the fix. 281-787-8226 Tim

Stick Pro

can u snap some pics of your new double idler on the rear. My cat salesman told me if i have this problem they can put a single idler on the front.

LanceNE

Occupation
Thanks Tim.....Hope it fix's the track hopping problem!!!

LanceNE

Occupation
Thks

Hope that fix's the problem.....

Like the machine otherwise...seems to be balanced well.

Dr. W

Occupation
Pilot for major airline
The single idler is a waste of time front or back.. Double idler on front and back is the solution.

Will snap a picture soon! TW

JDOFMEMI

You should be able too now. I am pretty sure it is 3 posts. I do know it is to keep the automated programs from spamming the board with drivel

I would like to see the double roller, and hear more about the problem.

Blue 02 TJ

Here is a pic of the track when it came out of the center idler and hoped onto the inside wall of the idler. The second picture shows the location where it happend. Located behind the CAT in the second picture you can see the log I hit. It was originally closer to the water and I went over the smaller end of the log which is hard to see in this picture but its nothing to extereme or unreasonable. After the track came off I moved the log over behind the CAT in hopes that it would hold up the back so I could work on the track. I finally ended up finding the wood blocks you see in the picture to put under it. The good news is I was only down about an hour.

Attachments

• Photo_111209_006.jpg
    Photo_111209_006.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 195
  • Photo_111209_009.jpg
    Photo_111209_009.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 206

Stick Pro

Nice pics. Have they solved your tracks comeing off problem yet. How is the rest of the machine doing. Our 289 should be here in two to three more weeks cant wait.

Dr. W

Occupation
Pilot for major airline
Its a great machine! No comment on the track issue right at the moment..

My side kick and I will post a detailed list of all our thoughs in the near future!

I believe it is the best machine in its class, no question..