• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 299C Park Brake won't release

weareweird69

I sure hope mine is. A new display setup is around 1,400 at my cost since I’m a peon. I don’t have ET so I can’t program the machine myself, so that would be more money. I know a few people with ET, but they are busy most of the time and I hate to bother them when I need something. Even if I pay them.

I guess I’m gonna have to keep my eyes open for a used setup, I have no idea where to look though, as I don’t think our dealer (Cleveland Brothers) part machines out.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I guess I’m gonna have to keep my eyes open for a used setup, I have no idea where to look though, as I don’t think our dealer (Cleveland Brothers) part machines out.
I don't think the dealer where the other guy got his display parted machines out either. IIRC he simply went into their Parts Dept and asked about used parts of the number mentioned a few posts above. The display came from somewhere else within the Cat organization.

cfpinz

For an C Series machine that is much simpler to upgrade than an D, annother option is to buy a used display. Someone a while back bought a second-hand one from their dealer which of course had software already installed. That was also a plug & play job.
That would be me.

264-8861 is the part number for the display itself. Carter Cat was able to provide a used one from their Salem, VA location I believe. $250. Give them a call, what do you have to lose?

Nige

What did that part number get you? The gauges and also display?
That Part Number is the complete digital RH panel complete with LCD gauges and indicators. This panel was an option for machines such as yours when new but not all customers purchased it.

There is a newer Part Number 346-6336 that you could also ask about. It is the replacement for 264-8861.

EDIT: It takes you from this........

1686788121991.png

to this...........

1686789313383.png
1686789291140.png

Last edited:

weareweird69

That could be why the newer part number isn’t easily located. The older one is probably more available. I have a full BLANK on mine. The “from” photo you showed is the left side indicator I believe.

I’ll call them tomorrow and see if they can locate an older one. That might be more promising!

weareweird69

I was curious if the creep function would work. I know the 2 speed models that come with the display and creeper mode have different final drives.

Nige

IIRC the creeper function activation requires intervention with Cat ET. Without the switch present it would generate a Diagnostic Code if activated, so the switch has to be installed first then the system can be activated without creating a nuisance Code.

cfpinz

That would make sense. I can go to the creeper settings in the advanced display and set the parameters, but the speed functions just the same.

cfpinz

Thanks, Nige.

It's odd to me that the gauge cluster worked without ET intervention, but the creeper mode doesn't.

Logically though, I assume the gauge cluster is just displaying readings that were already present whereas the machine would need to recognize the signal from creeper switch in order to active creeper mode.

Nige

It's odd to me that the gauge cluster worked without ET intervention, but the creeper mode doesn't.
Not at all. The gauges and the creeper mode are two totally separate functions.

If creeper mode was permanently activated in the ECM then for all machines with no switch installed the system would register a permanent Diagnostic Code for a "switch malfunction".

This would be somewhat irritating to say the least if the machine was not even equipped with said switch. The solution is to have the creep function as a selectable parameter in the ECM configuration so that on machines so equipped the function can be turned on. Simples.......

Last edited: