• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 315 Tracking Issues

Tim98TA

I have a Cat 315AL Serial Number 6YM02363 that has tracking issues along with a few other issues that may or may not all be related, so I will list them all.
When I bought the machine last month I knew it had track issues. It would barely creep forward/backward. Any incline at all and it would stop. Would not turn at all.
Learned that the 315's have had this issue and the fix was to repack the swivel. Did that. It now tracks faster/better, but still no turning and inclines slow it down some.
All boom features work fine. Pump has enough pressure to pick up the machine if the boom is forced down.
Here is a basic rundown of the issues.

* Must engage gauge tracks some to get machine to swivel. If trying to swivel otherwise machine bogs slightly and no swivel.

* When tracking forward and engine speed in auto it will move forward and engine will raise speed. When going in reverse engine will go back down to idle.

* Have the pump control in auto.

* Engine speed does not raise at all when trying to do boom functions. Only when tracking.

* Track speed switch does not make a difference in track speed.

Tim98TA

I read that article and it does have some helpful general knowledge of track issues. Although I do not have any test gauges and equipment. I did find a few items that I can check without those.
I think my tracking issues are more specific to my machine.
When tracking it seems a bit slow.
Inclines slow it down and even can stop it.
If tracking on a flat surface, and you use a boom function it brings the movement to almost stopping.

Does anyone have knowledge of this machine and possibly give me some insight on what to try?
Any electric valving I should check?

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day Tim
Checking out hydraulic issues with the machine will be a challenge without some equipment. An acquaintance got hold of a 5000p.s.i pressure sensor hooked this to a battery and multi meter a pal provided a reference to calibrate the multi meter. while it was not dead accurate it was good enough for trouble shooting in most case,s.
I can make specific information for you but please appeal to Nige for a hydraulic schematic, he will need the serial number of the 315.
Kind regards
Uffex

Tim98TA

Got the schematics from Nige. These will be a big help. If anyone needs them, PM me and I will send them over.

Last edited:

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day Tim
Please PM a copy that is very valuable to give support when required , great this forum has the support from Nige.
Kind regards
Uffex

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day Tim a few questions
315 Tracking issue

Must engage gauge tracks some to get machine to swivel” not terribly sure what this means, can you clarify?

When tracking forward and engine speed in auto it will move forward and engine will raise speed. When going in reverse, engine will go back down to idle.” in addition to boom functions ,I guess the auto idle does not raise the revolution when you select reverse?

Track speed switch does not make a difference in track speed.” I suggest go to the undercarriage disconnect and plug or “T” with a gauge in the small line. With the engine running try switching high speed selection on see if we get pressure. This is at the end of the process.
Kind regards
Uffex

Tim98TA

Must engage gauge tracks some to get machine to swivel” not terribly sure what this means, can you clarify?
From sitting still, if you want the machine to swivel, left or right, you must first press the track levers, either frontwards or backwards. Then the machine will swivel.

When tracking forward and engine speed in auto it will move forward and engine will raise speed. When going in reverse, engine will go back down to idle.” in addition to boom functions ,I guess the auto idle does not raise the revolution when you select reverse?
No, the machine stays at idle when trying to go backwards. As well as if you try a boom function, the engine will not increase speed.
It will only increase speed if you go to track forward.

Track speed switch does not make a difference in track speed.” I suggest go to the undercarriage disconnect and plug or “T” with a gauge in the small line. With the engine running try switching high speed selection on see if we get pressure. This is at the end of the process.
I will have tp wait until my mechanic is able to come back out. He has a regular job and is only doing this on the weekends when he has time.

Thank you for the help.

Tim