• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 320 fuel system priming procedure

Gary Layton

I have been doing a pretty thorough service on my 320...hydraulic, air and fuel system.

I have all the filters replaced, just got the fuel filter swapped late this afternoon. I have never hand primed a diesel system. I followed the O&M procedure for the first part...loosen filter vent, prime until no bubbles flow out the vent...that went OK. The next step is to loosen the injector pump vent bolt and prime it.

I do not know where that vent is. The following pictures are where I think it must be but I need someone to ID the injector pump vent bolt. Also, there is a small knob by the inj. pump in picture 3. Is that also a priming pump? Does the inj. pump have its own priming pump or do I use the one by the fuel pump (that is a LOT easier to access)?

I included pictures of the procedure I am following from the O/M Manual.

Attachments

• injector pump picts  (1) resized 1.jpg
    injector pump picts (1) resized 1.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 5
  • injector pump picts  (2) resized 2.jpg
    injector pump picts (2) resized 2.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 5
  • injector pump picts  (3) resized 3.jpg
    injector pump picts (3) resized 3.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 5
  • injector pump picts  (4) resized 4.jpg
    injector pump picts (4) resized 4.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 5

Gary Layton

more...in picture 5, I am touching the priming pump and the fuel filter vent bolt.

Attachments

• injector pump picts  (8) resized 8.jpg
    injector pump picts (8) resized 8.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 3
  • injector pump picts  (7) resized 7.jpg
    injector pump picts (7) resized 7.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 3
  • injector pump picts  (6) resized 6.jpg
    injector pump picts (6) resized 6.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 3
  • injector pump picts  (5) resized 5.jpg
    injector pump picts (5) resized 5.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 3

Gary Layton

from O/M Manual

Attachments

• priming procedure  (1) resized.jpg
    priming procedure (1) resized.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 3
  • priming procedure  (2) resized.jpg
    priming procedure (2) resized.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 3
  • priming procedure all resized.jpg
    priming procedure all resized.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 3

Gary Layton

And, lastly, from the parts manual. The real-world CAT does not seem to match exactly the parts diagram. I think part 129 (top left of housing in picture 1 of inj. pump) is the vent bolt but I cannot cipher where that is on my machine.

Attachments

• injector pump  (1) resized.jpg
    injector pump (1) resized.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 7
  • injector pump  (2) resized.jpg
    injector pump (2) resized.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 7

heymccall

Prime with vent on filter open until no air. Close vent, and prime until pressure on primer. Seat and tighten primer.
Start engine. If it stalls, reprime with bleeder closed. Then restart.
Unless the engine completely ran out of fuel, I've never had to bleed the injection pump.

Delmer

That is a primer pump on the injector pump in pics 2 and 3. The bleeder is middle of the pic on pic 2, the right side on pic 3 and the bottom on pic 7. If the easy to reach primer doesn't pump fuel out the bleeder, try the hard to reach one. If you're feeling lucky, start it up and bump the RPM up to 1,200 or so as soon as oil pressure comes up.

Gary Layton

Thanks, McCall...that is what I was hoping might work. All I did was change out fuel filter and fuel/water separator...lost some fuel from the system in the swapping but not major.

I'll prime again tomorrow and try to start it. I did not try to start today.

Thanks, Delmer, for the ID of vent and injector primer pump. The fuel filter primer pump only took about 8 strokes to stop producing bubbles. Maybe I will be lucky.

Appreciate the quick replies.

Gary Layton

Thanks for the help, guys. I did the priming procedure again today and got the CAT going. It fired up quickly as normal and quickly died. Cranked it about 8 seconds, no go. Cranked another 5 seconds and she fired up and ran great. I took some video of the process. If it's decent I'll post it later.