• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 320 oil pan replacement -- detritus in pan

Gary Layton

oil pan replace  (8).jpgoil pan replace  (8).jpgI am replacing my oil pan and started the process today. A few weeks ago I was cleaning out the belly area and had a hinged belly plate hanging down. I got distracted with another issue on the cat and forgot the hanging plate. When I slewed the cab the plate hit the track and mangled the plate as it drove it up into the oil pan area. The pan had a 3 inch long gash. No oil leaked out until I pulled the plate out...instant oil change.

I found a few interesting items in the pan. I would like your input on what you think these are.

First, I noticed triangular/cone shaped flakes of metal...very thin...maybe 6 flakes. They may be from the oil pan as a result of the plate trauma? Or are they ominous?

Second, there was a threaded bolt with a screw slot on one end and the other end was smooth.

Third, there was a metal "cup" that maybe the smooth end of the threaded bolt/rod fit into? I cannot see anything similar up in the piston/rod area.

Trying to figure out how to post multiple pictures.

Gary Layton

I am not sure...if so I hope it was dropped somewhere along the line and the mechanic just got another? Reasonable? The engine has been running fine.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
Might not hurt to pop the valve cover off and have a look . . .

Is the machine high time?

Gary Layton

Is it physically possible for that rocker arm adjuster screw and nut to make its way all the way thru the engine into the oil pan?

Acoals

Occupation
I don't know about the newer machines, but on my 315C the valve cover is right there, probably have it off in 15 minutes, unless I am not remembering an obstruction. I would sure want to see the valve train if it were mine.

Acoals

Occupation
Is it physically possible for that rocker arm adjuster screw and nut to make its way all the way thru the engine into the oil pan?
Well, it is there. Probably via the return galleries. One of the other guys who has torn down 10 of those will probably be along soon enough to answer those details . . .

Gary Layton

hahhaha...true dat...."it is there". I'll wait for more input...good lead you gave me already. I am sure that is what it is. The valve covers are up top and accessible as I remember them. I'll check in the AM. Will I need a new valve cover gasket if I remove it...or is it reasonable to expect it to come off and be re-usable?

Acoals

Occupation
Not sure whether it would be considered reusable or not, but if it was me I would probably replace it either way. I don't like re work much.

Acoals

Occupation
Just make sure you clean the valve cover up pretty good before you pull it off so you don't get dirt dropping in there. Usually you can take a blow gun and blow it out real good, especially the seam/gasket area between the cover and head.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I am not sure...if so I hope it was dropped somewhere along the line and the mechanic just got another? Reasonable? The engine has been running fine.
Pull the valve cover off and take a look would also be my thoughts, just to confirm.......

Is the piece in the circle the bottom end of the engine oil dipstick.? Hard to tell from the photo but if it's got paint on it then it's not.

1679066861195.png

Gary Layton

Good eye on the small piece. I'll see if I can figure that out.

I just ordered two valve cover gaskets so I'll be checking the valves out soon. Gaskets don't arrive until Monday.

56wrench

In the 4th picture, that little round thing with the recess may be a valve stem lash cap. Some engines use them to prevent wear on the end of the valve stem. They go on top of the valve stem between the valve stem and the tip of the rocker arm

Gary Layton

I think you are right. I looked inside the oil fill cap and could see the rocker arm adjusters for 2 valves...identical cap was there. I will be removing valve covers this weekend to see what's what.

Gary Layton

I removed both valve covers and good news...all the rocker arm adjusters are in place. No idea why there was one in the oil pan. Iget the cover gaskets in the AM and get to put things back together.

Attachments

• valve covers  (1) resized.jpg
    valve covers (1) resized.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 11
  • valve covers  (6) resized.jpg
    valve covers (6) resized.jpg
    306.2 KB · Views: 11
  • valve covers  (7) resized.jpg
    valve covers (7) resized.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 11