• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 320C hydraulics on the go slow.

HSV127

Hi, The hydraulics on the 320C that I'm driving at the moment have all of a sudden started playing up, when you go to track forward or back it will briefly go up to full speed then slows to about half speed and struggles to climb hills. This seems to be the case for all the hydraulic functions on the digger, was wondering if anyone can tell me what the problem might be.

Thanks in advance.

Bob/Ont

If the hyd's started slow I would say the FOOT Valve that holds back main valve center flow (NFC) to keep pumps at minimum angle was full of debris. But since you say the hyd's, all functions, start good then slow down I feel a calibration of the PRV solenoid is in order. The NFC,negative flow control, pressure tells the pumps you intend to do nothing so they should pump nothing at this time. When you move a lever and the spool in the control valve moves it pinches off the center flow of oil, the oil building pressure at the Foot Valve stops coming and the pressure falls, asnthismpressure falls the pump or pumps stroke up to max to do work. This is happening on your machine. And when it does the engine is loaded up and RPM's drop. As this happens the ECM tells the PRV solenoid to adjust the Powershift pressure to stroke back the pumps and allow the engine speed to recover to Target RPM. I think the PRV is over doing it.
Later Bob

Lee-online

Clean the speed sensor in the bell housing. When it gets dirty (its a magnet and metal from the starter/ring gear build up on it) it give erroneous readings to the ECM. If it is showing lower rpms than there actually are then the ecm will destroke the pumps.
When you reinstall it, screw it in by hand until it touches the ring gear then back it off 1/2 a turn and tighten the jamb nut.

HSV127

Thanks for the replies guys. Will try your theory Lee-online and if that doesn't work will get Cat to come suss it out.

HSV127

All sorted now. Went to remove the speed sensor, grabbed the wire to unplug it first and found it had been rubbing on a pipe and one wire was broken, joined it up and everything's back to normal.

Thanks again guys for your input.