• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 320CL temperature gauge erratic

Gary Layton

2006 CAT 320C L
Details: CAT 320C L sn PAB06638 Engine SN MAE05872 AR No. (arrangement) 2870092

It has been running fine lately. Operating temp is usually about "5-6" out of possible 10 or so increments. In the picture, you can see where it is now when it should really show at about the halfway mark...same as the hydraulic temp.

I was recently dredging the pond for several hours and noticed the temp gauge fluctuate between a reading of "1" unit (cold) and "5-6" units...normal operating temp. A few minutes later it went to "1" and stayed there. I finished moving my mud mats and shut it down. When I restarted the engine, the ECU test items all seemed to work properly..including the temp gauge...it incremented thru normally during the startup test sequence and then set itself at "1", even though the engine temp was really in the operating range (5-6).

I have been using SIS 2.0 to get an idea of where the sensor is for engine temperature but have not been confidently successful yet.

I took these pictures of where I think it might be. There appears to be two sensors in the area under the thermostat?

Do you think the issue might just be a sensor going bad? I checked the wires to the items in my picture and they are tight.

Suggestions?

Attachments

• ECU temp gauge.jpg
    ECU temp gauge.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
  • temp sensor maybe  (2).jpg
    temp sensor maybe (2).jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10

Gary Layton

Seems the part I will try is
5I-7578 Sender-Temperature

It also says: Availabilty 1 Replaced Contact Dealer

I'll call CAT tomorrow and let them sort it out.

Thanks for the lead.

Gary Layton

FTR...just realized I did not follow up. It WAS that sensor (Sender-Temperature). I replaced it and the gauge increments properly now.