• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 320D, 320D2, 320D2GC, 320E or 320E RR

Hello all,

I'm thinking about treading in my old 320 (first generation, no series), and 320V1 for two brand new 320 but I'm not sure which one I should get between CAT 320D, 320D2, 320D2GC or 320E. I'm dealing with mostly road construction, asphalt stripping, a little bit of digging, and not so much working in the mine. In Thailand, I might have to wait until next year for 320D2, 320D2GC and may be I have to wait longer for 320E and 320E RR since there is no exact date of when the E-Series will start coming in to Thailand to replace the D-Series. I'm not in the hurry of trading my 320 in. they're still working fine, cash flow is little low right now becasue we just got brand new 140K and CS533E from CAT.

Any advise on which model I should get

Thanks so much in advance.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
My advice would be to stick with the D series. The E series has more electronics, a high pressure fuel system and more emissions controls. Also the rear end of the machine is very large compared to the D series which hinders visibility.

I looked at buying a new E series as we cannot get a new D model anymore in the US and decided against it for the reasons I stated above. Dealer had an '11 321DL with 1700 hours on it that I am renting now with a purchase option. I am going the used route to stay away from the E series and the emissions control equipment on the new machines.

My advice would be to stick with the D series. The E series has more electronics, a high pressure fuel system and more emissions controls. Also the rear end of the machine is very large compared to the D series which hinders visibility.

I looked at buying a new E series as we cannot get a new D model anymore in the US and decided against it for the reasons I stated above. Dealer had an '11 321DL with 1700 hours on it that I am renting now with a purchase option. I am going the used route to stay away from the E series and the emissions control equipment on the new machines.

good advise. I'll take your opinion into consideration. The thing is after buying these new excavators I probably won't look at the new excavator for the next 8 - 10 years, so I just want the one with the most bang for the buck. The E Series looks really interesting tho, I'll see if there is a demo machine at my local dealer. I definitely try them out before signing anything.

mxsledder

I owned a 336 E for two years. Emissions system worked excellent and one was workhorse of a machine. I know of over 15 320 E's and most have been trouble free. If you get the right deal on a 320 d for for it, if not don't be scared of the E one bit.

I am looking for CAT 320D for middle east market, but don't know exactly if there is any difference in between 320D and 320D-E.
320E is not good for middle east market because my customers don't like the electronic one.

Any suggestions please?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Welcome to the Forums H!

I am not familiar with the 320D-E although I can say without a doubt the D model excavators are far superior to the E models due simply to emissions on the E model.

heymccall

By 8k hours, my 320DLRR took fan belts, injectors, AND, at different interval....completely wiped its PCM settings (it lost all auxiliary controls and flow settings, and all kinds of other stuff.)

By 8k hours on my 320ELRR, it took a fan belt, and that's it.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
I'll still take a D over an E. Own a 321DL with over 8K on the clock and all it's had to have was a fan belt, A/C belt and a fan clutch. Had a 315DL we put 3K on before selling requiring nothing but regular maintenance.

Now our 325FL with 4K on the clock is a different story. Several EGR and DEF issues in addition to some intercooler hoses.

The best excavator we've ever owned was a 325DL. Powerful, a great size for what we do and well balanced - Wish I had that machine back.:(

heymccall

I've got 314C, D, and 2 E's.
The two E's are both over 8k hours.
Between the two, one AC compressor, a belt each, one exhaust flapper valve,, and one V clamp lost a bolt.
The D has had a lift and injection pump, and a crank sensor, it has 10k hours.
The C, front crank seal, AC compressor, AC lines, starter, alternator and muffler. It has over 12k hours.

My 336E has 6500 hours. Other than a mandatory DPF exchange @ 5k hours, zero issues.

My two 325F drink DEF, but, zero other repairs to get over 6k hours each.

And my 13k hours 320DLRR is due for a serp belt at 13k hours, as the pulley peaks are peeking thru the belt. Just can't get it to sit still long enough.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
One thing to keep in mind is that the OP is in Asia. Machines built for that part of the world can be substantially different than what is built for this part of the world. Probably little to no emissions add ons.