• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 320D Hydraulics temps rising

Shivan Dookeran

Hello friends, i am having a temperature problem with my cat 320d KGF machine where when i work it for a while the temp keeps rising till it reaches the red. I have changed all the filters including the pilot filter, return filter , cleaned the in tank screen and even sent off the cooler to be cleaned and checked, the only thing i found odd was bits of hose stuck in the return filter,

Machine works fine just a bit sluggish but all functions work well, anyone have a hydraulic schematic i can use to possibly troubleshoot why the temperature keeps rising and how i can solve this problem ?

Per Eriksson

Only hydraulic temp rising?
Do you have an infrared temp gun, if so measure the temp to and from the cooler.

You say sluggish, go ahead and verify the relief settings for all functions and the main relief, if one or more is low that will create alot of heat.
Any function drifting, could indicate bad seals in that cylinder and that also creates heat.
How much do you track, could be bad seals in the swivel.

Or the bypass valve on the back of the main valve has come apart not directing flow through the cooler.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Does that machine have an extra hydraulic cooler and the hydraulic driven fan motor?

Shivan Dookeran

Only hydraulic temp rising?
Do you have an infrared temp gun, if so measure the temp to and from the cooler.

You say sluggish, go ahead and verify the relief settings for all functions and the main relief, if one or more is low that will create alot of heat.
Any function drifting, could indicate bad seals in that cylinder and that also creates heat.
How much do you track, could be bad seals in the swivel.

Or the bypass valve on the back of the main valve has come apart not directing flow through the cooler.
thanks for the reply , will verify settings as soon as i receive my set of gauges .
no functions drifting all work well just a bit slow
tracking is minimal as machine works as a site machine digging and loading dirt

Per Eriksson

I don't have any setting dimesnions for them.
Which one was loose?

The bottom one regulates the flow through the cooler, if it opens easy the flow through cooler will be less, so you could try tightening that a little and see if it improves the cooling.