• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 345BL with laptop in cab

speedy

I would say it's for the GPS excavation. Basically CAD built into the machine. Notice the Antenna whips and GPS antennas mounted to the bar on the rear of the engine shroud?

Takes all the grade checking out of the job...a lot of time saved.

Cat Dr.

Occupation
Diesel Fitter
We had a similar setup at the last place i was at, CAT CAES (Computer Aided Earthmoving Software) in the Liebherr 994B' diggers and D10T Dozers, and CAT Minestar in the 789C's to show operators where they were and where to go! pretty accurate, all GPS and radio driven, had repeater towers all round site to keep them all "talking" pretty crazy system, not 100% reliable - prone to breakdowns! but awesome when it work - showed digger srivers what dirt they were digging (High Grade Ore, Low Grade Ore, waste rock, clay) and where the mine planners wanted to dump it!
As soon as they make a computer that fixes oil leaks on them i'll be in heaven

biggixxerjim

And doesnt that undercariage look awfully wide????

There is a high reach dredging dipper on that machine, maybe they use it for under water cuts??

345cl

Occupation
excavator operator in the sewer bussiness
:pointhead it should be a 345N instead of a b series,,N standing for nintendo,,god,, does it come with mario bros theme music :D
:dizzy :laugh

CAT 345BLR

Occupation
CAT 345 BLR operator
Hello ,

My name is Patrick and i'm from Belgium . The machine above ( CAT 345BLR ) is my machine and is equipped with a Prolec GPS system . It is a very good system to work with . It works also with a ground base station and it is connected with the 2 long withe antennas . The place of the antennas are changed now , because they didn't work very well with the first setup.

345gpsmediumew9.jpg

p1040664mediumsb9.jpg

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Hey Patrick

Welcome to the forum!:drinkup :drinkup

Hope you find interresting stuff in here.:)
Looks like a fine machine you got there.
Was the change in antennas because they was to close together?(not accurate enough)
And do you need to get the drawingsupdate by a cable ore do you get them wireless from your designerengineer's?

jazak

I actually started a thread about this a while ago,

Ocala Instruments makes a laser "transit" that sits on the stick of the hoe, inside the excavator is a screen/pad that you type in you're desired depth, angle, ect, ect. Once you reach it, it will automaticaly beep......

http://www.ocalainstruments.com/

Last edited:

CAT 345BLR

Occupation
CAT 345 BLR operator
Hey Patrick

Welcome to the forum!:drinkup :drinkup

Hope you find interresting stuff in here.:)
Looks like a fine machine you got there.
Was the change in antennas because they was to close together?(not accurate enough)
And do you need to get the drawingsupdate by a cable ore do you get them wireless from your designerengineer's?

Hello ,

My machine is now almost 2 years old . It's a very good machine . Before this 345 i've worked with our CAT's 375 , 385 , 365 B & C and 330 B

Yes , we have to change the antennas for that reason . When we placed them at the first day ( on the pics on top of the topic ) , it worked well while the calibration . At the job site there was a difference off 100 meters . We changed the setup off the antennas and it was ok .

The updates of the design are delivered on a USB stick .

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Nice, The system you got in your exc is most common in barges and big exc doing underwater digging in harbours here in Norway.:)

The system moust used is Prolec PCX 3D.
I bet a Norwegian guy from GL Instruments, Jan Floberg, may have mounted the system you got in your machine?
Theese guy's and Prolec has invented the system together.
I have seen a demonstration in a huge exc mounted on a barge doing underwater digging for the new opera in Oslo.
You could se the bucket and the bottom, and the masses removed by each bucket. Calculates the amount constantly.
Realy impressing system, that i hear is cheap.(well, cheaper than the others)
But you are totaly independent of a computer...dont see much without one:bash

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Some pictures of materiell with Prolec PCX 3d.:)
The 2 first ones is of barges with excavators.
The last 2 is of a underwater excavator. Controlled from a barge, engine on the barge and hydraulic main pressure down under water.
Functions down to 1000 meters depth....

Bucket can be taken off and a sucktion system added to the exc.(on the pictures)
Down there its better to use a suction system than a bucket.
Suck the dirt in, and pump it far away so u can se what you are doing down there.
The bucket is for removing/handling stones on the bottom.:)

Attachments

• mudrun.jpg
    mudrun.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 1,512
  • caesar.jpg
    caesar.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 1,505
  • uvbrøyt2.jpg
    uvbrøyt2.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 1,514
  • uv brøyt.jpg
    uv brøyt.jpg