• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 3508 in a Hogzilla

Tony Wells

Occupation
HogZilla Keeper
Nige, that sounds like a good idea and it may come to that. We've been advised to try connecting an instrument to the cam position sensor and checking it for a consistent signal. Birken, I plan on bringing in a scope, but it's not storage capable. This is one time I wish I had a small, toughened DSO, but my electronics lab in my shop is more intended for bench work. I have 3 scopes, but more suited to that type of work, since one of my hobbies is restoring antique radios and boat anchors. Maybe it's time to invest in a DSO. Nahh, I'm trying to retire, not dig in deeper. Seems to me it would be simpler to just replace the sensor, but I'd really want to know there was a problem before spending the money and time to do it. But honestly, I'm not looking forward to bringing one of my lab scopes to the field. Plus I have no idea what waveform I should be seeing in the first place, so that will be just guesswork and hoping to spot some sort of anomaly. Another suggestion, already acted upon by the owner unless I misunderstood, was to buy a rebuilt ECU and swap it out and send the original out for testing/reconditioning. I'm not sold on the wisdom of that, exactly, but apparently the cost is acceptable and we will have a backup on hand should we ever need it. I believe it may arrive tomorrow. It seems that even though we have several grinders, those we have that are running aren't keeping up. We have contractual obligations for specific delivery of chipped goods at a wholesale level and cannot afford another one to go down right now, so we are going to push a little on the Hogzilla, and another one or two that are out of service for various reasons, primarily with the grinding mechanism and fairly easy to repair, just time consuming and our main fab guy is buried with work at the moment. I shouldn't be doing that type of work, given my health so probably won't be fabricating new parts for any of those. /begin extraneous commentary I say that, but I'm working on reconditioning a dogbone for a Doosan wheeled loader that was very neglected with the grease gun and had the pin eat through the hardened sleeve, into the boss and now I have a rather large egged hole in one end. I'll have to cut out the old boss, bore the plate oversize and build a new, custom boss with a stock ID to receive new sleeves. Then of course, I'll find the bucket holes are bad with the pin fit very loose, and have to get it welded up and line bored, or make new ears and weld them on. But that's another story. And there are more...it never ends. Never a dull moment around here, to be sure. /end extraneous commentary

We cleared all the codes stored in the ECU, and after a short run, only about 15 minutes, none returned. But there is a persistent hard code we can't clear that I don't quite understand. I need a little education. Per Cat, there is no throttle position sensor on the engine. But the ECU is apparently looking for a signal from it. So of course it sets a code on it. Ill be the first to admit I'm not an expert on these engines, so I would like to know what system Cat is using to replace what would normally be the tps to determine engine load. The systems I am familiar with use the tps signal in comparison to a air flow sensor to accomplish this and respond to a load lowering the engine speed by increasing the injector pulse width (condensed, more or less). How does Cat handle this function?

Just to add a little spice to this, these are the codes that were set during the previous test run. I was not present so can offer nothing as far as actions of the people running it during the test session:
Fault Code CDL: Starter motor relay
Fault Code CDL: 168 Electrical system voltage
Fault Code CDL: 91 Throttle position sensor
Fault Code CDL: 546 Ether injection current limit relay
Fault Code CDL: 4 Cylinder 4 injector

As I said, after clearing all, the only recurring code is the "ghost code" 91. Since Cat built this engine, and I don't believe it was ever field flashed, I don't understand why the ECU is even looking for the TPS signal.

Last edited:

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Tony, is there any way you can get the software Part Number that’s installed in the ECM.?
Based on the engine S/N I can figure out what it ought to be. It would be nice to compare the two. With ET it would be a doddle, as would getting hold of the actual failure modes for the Codes you mention above.

My suspicion is that it might be something related to the diagnostic tool you are using to look for Codes.

Tony Wells

Occupation
HogZilla Keeper
Nige, you may be onto something. That document does mention a TPS a few times, but I was drawn to the data surrounding the engine speed sensor. We have had problems with one of them before. This being a tub grinder, there are more than one speed sensors involved in the machine controller, as the mill speed is linked to engine load as well. IIRC there are three at the flywheel end of the crank, located outside on a hub with notches, I believe, leading me to believe it is a Hall effect sensor style. I remember the gap setting being very ticklish and at that time, the primary symptom was an inability to get the engine up to the desired rpm, which for our purposes is 1800. We never could get the gap right, so eventually condemned that particular sensor, replaced it and setting the gap got us going. I just scanned that doc for now, but will take some time in the morning over a cup or two and let it soak in.

We use a Diesel Laptop as our diagnostic tool. It does very well with some equipment, and not so well with others. (Seems better with trucks). Today, running the engine, using the available live readouts for several systems I seem to recall some duty cycle category that was zero. At the time, I was under the impression that it only applied to the TPS, which this engine does not have, so I paid little attention to it. Perhaps I should revisit it to confirm that it was in fact the TPS duty cycle and not something else.

As far as the software version/part number, I'm not certain. If so, it will be through the laptop. I'll try to find out tomorrow. I'll get the engine SN also if I don't have it. It may be in an earlier post in this thread, I haven't looked.

Once again Nige, I appreciate the excellent assistance you provide.

Nige

It might pay you to investigate which of the speed sensors are related to the controls supplied by the grinder manufacturer and which are Cat sensors and so part of the engine setup. All I can help you with is the engine side of it. if you want the electrical schematic then shout out.

Tony Wells

Occupation
HogZilla Keeper
I did buy the complete engine system schematic (large format printed on heavy stock, kept out of others grubby little hands, from Cat, so have that. There are 3 3" ring binders that come with the machine, and unless I am mistaken, there is a good schematic for the overall grinder control. But yes, I can see where one of the auxiliary sensors might not be playing nice with the ECU or machine master control. The two systems must interact, so it's easy to see where some problem with one would cause some havoc with the other, as I'm sure the code trigger parameters are not always completely debugged so they always communicate properly.

This illustrates the complication with working on a more or less custom, limited production machine. There are separate control/monitoring systems that are integrated through efforts by the power-plant supplier and the machine builder, which inevitably complicates troubleshooting.

Tony Wells

Occupation
HogZilla Keeper
Nige, can you confirm the PN for the spacers used with the manifold to head bolts? In the text of your post you call out 198-0203, on the doc you posted I see 198-0230. I have some dyslexia myself, so just checking.

Getting ready to order some parts so want to be sure. It looks like we will be pulling the entire manifold, just as was suggested the probability would be. I should be able to get the updated gasket number from the dealer, I expect. Anything else I should bring in to head off ugly surprises?

Cmark

1980230 is a spacer. 1980203 isn't a good number.

If you can give me a TL;DR, I'll try to help.

Nige

Chris, if you go back to Page 1 the S/No is listed - BPX00105.

My suggestion to Tony was to use the same longer bolts and washers/spacers plus the latest 320-8974 exhaust manifold gasket (from SEPD1247) that are listed in the 3508 installation in a 777D truck. However he can’t use the v-shaped “asbestos” rings in the joints between the manifold sections that the OHT installation uses. So I think from memory he’ll need the high-temperature hardware 5P-2755/2N-2766 to join all the sections of the 144-2876 Manifold Gp on his engine. See posts 11 & 17 on Page 1.

Cmark

Yep, apart from the spacer part number clarification, I don't think I have anything more to add at this time.

Tony Wells

Occupation
HogZilla Keeper
Nige, I have all the time in the world. Not desperate at all. Enjoy your weekend, and please pardon the intrusion!

And thanks, Chris, for jumping in. I thought the number was incorrect since there was a discrepancy with the bulletin Nige had posted, but wanted to be sure.