• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 365C MSC0493 problem lagging

Race5118

Hi guys having trouble figuring out an issue with my 365C. When it's booming up with a full bucket and swinging it's losing rpm and pump pressure then it will run back up and drop again until it gets moving. Dropping to 1600 rpm then back to 1800 repeatedly also from 30,000 to 20,000 psi on both pumps with rpm drop and rise. The only fault code it has currently is for an engine speed sensor. I'm losing sleep over this thing.

fastline

Well the speed sensor should be the very first item! That can certainly hurt performance. I had that issue in my C model and was in the harness/plug for sensor. A sensor code does not always mean a sensor is bad, though that seems to be the logic off most techs. Verify, then replace if needed. If memory serves, that is a hall sensor so a simple resistance test will prove it out most of the time.

Race5118

The speed sensor code cleared up on its own, now I have a code for system Pressure solenoid. I can find it on the electrical schematic but I can't find it in the machine, and no where in the books other than the troubleshooting section for it. Is there possibly another name for this.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
The speed sensor code cleared up on its own, now I have a code for system Pressure solenoid. I can find it on the electrical schematic but I can't find it in the machine, and no where in the books other than the troubleshooting section for it. Is there possibly another name for this.
That took a bit of finding.
See Ref # 16 on Page 2 of the attachment.
The 189-0189 Solenoid Coil (not the complete valve) that is shown on the electrical schematic services to a newer P/N 218-9894.
218-9894 Coil is part of the 171-3685 Valve Group, Ref # 16 on the Main Control Valve.

Attachments

• 239-3698 Ctrl Valve.pdf
    390.6 KB · Views: 7

Race5118

Found that one, unplugged it, tested it tested good plugged it back in code went away and verified it is working. Machine is still doing the same thing. I have another error code I can't find in the book mid 36 cid 91 fmi 8. 36 is engine 8 is abnormal signal no idea what 91 is.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Did you just wake this machine up after a cold winter hibernation? It sounds like moisture that has gotten into a bunch of harness plugs. The hunting and power issues sound like fuel problems, plugged strainers, fuel filters or maybe a nest around the air filters.
I'm also thinking the 30K and 20K readings are actually KPA and not PSI pressures. The machine normally runs at somewhere around 5,000 PSI.

Race5118

Yes it sits all winter in interior Alaska the power hunting issue started last fall. Yes pressure readings are KPA not PSI. I haven't changed fuel filters yet I'll do them and air filter and see what happens sounds logical to me.

Race5118

The machine also sat for two years before we bought it last year. It ran really good for a couple months before it started acting up. It definitely could have loosened some rust in the tank.

Race5118

Have you tried opening the ball valve on the bottom of the tank to see what in the way of water & dirt you get out with the first couple of gallons of diesel.?
Yes it was clean diesel with a couple drops of water, it's not flowing out very fast though.

Race5118

Just changed the fuel filters and it helped some, but still the same thing. The fuel I dumped out of the filters was pretty clean.
I can't get the drain line clear because it has a hose to a valve to a hose couldn't find anything flexible and stiff enough to make all the bends. I can't see much in the tank right now because it's full. I'm going to have to run it for a day to get the tank drained down enough to see.
I also turned the engine rpm up to 2000 from 1985. I can't access the setting for eco mode when I open the setting for it it pops up briefly then goes blank. Thinking of I could get it into heavy mode it would work.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
If you've had that much dirt through the fuel system it might pay you to remove the fuel filter heads completely the next time you change filters and clean out all the small passages in the heads. Even if they get just slightly restricted with dirt all sorts of weird things can happen. Most folks think that changing filters is all that is required, in fact in a case like this it should go a lot deeper than that.

Race5118

One other thing, if I turn the dial down to 9 or below it doesn't do it, but at 10 it does.