• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 416C Brake Locking Up

rutwad

Cat 416 C. Any time the right brake is used, the brake will not release. Usually I can continue to run a little, but then feel the brake tightening more until it finally will not allow the backhoe to move. Then it just becomes a waiting process. Sit and wait. After a while the brake releases. It has been an issue for a while. I just talked to my neighbor and he mentioned the exact same thing is happening on his Cat 420C. What could cause this?

Bob/Ont

Drain the axle oil out and look for big gobs of metal paste. I suspect the brakes are worn out completely.
Later Bob

PDG X

Occupation
Owner Operator
What did you find ? Also check the vent hole in the master cylinder.

rutwad

Actually it is just for occasional use around the house, so I haven't made it a priority. I was hoping more would chime in. I know nothing about wet brakes, but if they are worn out why would it cause the wheel to drag more and more until it eventually stops? Vent hole in master cylinder.... could that cause just one side to have problems? It is only the right rear and only after pressing that brake.

PDG X

Occupation
Owner Operator
I have had that happen a couple times - totally randomly - on the left brake. No rhyme or reason as to when it happens. Last time - maybe a month ago - lifted the machine, locked the dif, and cycled it fwd and rev - it released. After moving out if the way I checked the master cylinder reservoir - and thought I heard a slight pressure release. Cleaned everything and have been waiting for it to happen again.
Don't believe the brakes are worn out as there is no excessive travel or brake fluid usage, noise etc.
Guess it's just the two of us.

backspacer

Did you guys figure out the issue causing this? I have a 416c that has started doing this on the right rear. I can leave it alone for a while and when I come back it has released and works fine till it decides to do it again. I’ve changed the diff fluid and it looked fine

backspacer

Actually it is just for occasional use around the house, so I haven't made it a priority. I was hoping more would chime in. I know nothing about wet brakes, but if they are worn out why would it cause the wheel to drag more and more until it eventually stops? Vent hole in master cylinder.... could that cause just one side to have problems? It is only the right rear and only after pressing that brake.

you ever figure out the issue? My 416c does the same thing. Usually happens about 15 min or so after using it. Starts getting tighter and tighter till locks up. I’ll leave it overnight then works fine until a little more use. I only use mine around the house also but really would like to get it fixed. Changed rear end fluid and it looked fine

heymccall

If the pushrod is depressing the master even the slightest bit, the oil in the brake is now isolated from the reservoir. Then, when you heat it up (the brake oil), it can't go back to the reservoir as it grows, so it pushes against the brake lining harder. When it cools, the oil shrinks and the brake releases.

backspacer

If the pushrod is depressing the master even the slightest bit, the oil in the brake is now isolated from the reservoir. Then, when you heat it up (the brake oil), it can't go back to the reservoir as it grows, so it pushes against the brake lining harder. When it cools, the oil shrinks and the brake releases.

ok I will def check this out and let you know