• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

cat 416c loader valve question

backspacer

Hello, I have a cat 416c loader/backhoe with the clamshell 4in1 front bucket and have a problem I hope someone can assist me with. The loader valve has sprung a leak when I push the clamshell lever forward. Fluid is spraying out what appears to be whats left of a big allen head screw behind the lever. Its #12 on the 124-8818 valve schematic. The screw has almost completely rusted away. Any advice on how to replace it? Of course its behind the lever closest to the wheel well. May have to remove the whole valve control. Is it in 3 pieces? I am not a professional mechanic but I pretend to be one on weekends at home ;) Any instructions on how to remove it or the whole valve? Thanks in advance.
SCAN_20150608_202519855.jpg

lantraxco

O-ring plug. You'll need a new #12 and #11 of course. Can't help you with any hints though, sorry.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
As above. Maybe it's leaking because the plug #12 has corroded, worst case scenario the threads in the housing that plug #12 screws into may be toast. that would require a replacement housing and from that parts illustration it appears as though it's not available. I can see no reference # for it.

lantraxco

You won't know what you've got until you get what's left of the plug out, but logically since the O-ring at the top of the threads seals oil in, the threads *should* be okay, and the O-ring seat may be salvageable with a bit of sanding if it is corroded. Being lazy I would go for the simple and cheap fix first and hit the panic button if that fails.