• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 426B extendahoe pad replacement

skidrowe

I have 1996 cat 426B 4X4 backhoe serial#6KL02127 that needs the extendahoe pads replaced, are there any tricks anyone knows to make it easier, I have the service manual but it is vague and I would like more info. Any help is much appreciated !!

Ando

Occupation
Proprietor - 5 Star Contract Services
I've got a seal to replace on my Case extendahoe and had a good think about how to do it. This extension removal proceedure may be similar...

-of course this is better done on a nice flat workshop floor
-extend hoe fully, placing curled bucket on ground. Chock bucket to prevent slipping
-place wide trestle under extended inner section and secure with chain/chain tongs or similar
-remove extendahoe hydraulic ram pin (bucket end) and retract ram fully
-disconnect and cap extendahoe/bucket curl hoses. attach rope(s) to the hoses, for reassembly or if they get hitched up.
-drive backhoe forward, to fully seperate from hoe extension.
to reassemble, basically just reverse the proceedure, not forgetting to attach ropes to the internal hoses and guide through.

This is how I plan to attack my job.....I haven't actually done it yet....so others may have better suggestions

DMoline

Skidrowe. Extend stick completely as it rests on curled bucket. Remove pin attaching ram to extenda stick. Use another backhoe or something similiar to slide extenda stick out of stick. You probably dont need new pads. Just some more shims availiable at Cat. Dont buy a lot of fat ones. You will be suprised at how little you will have to shim to remove what seems like a lot of slop. It will take you less than an easy day. Dave

skidrowe

I would like to thank both Ando and DMoline for their advice, I finished the pad replacement a couple of weeks ago. With the help of my bobcat ,outside, at night, uneven surface and 25 or so trips in and out of the cab to get alignments just right I was successful. My inner pads were shot , probably from stretching out grabbing bigger boulders than I should with my thumb, even my shims needed replaced. I used after market parts,used lock-tite on all bolts, new snap rings and o-rings, it is nice and tight now no slop! I learned a couple of tricks I'll probably never use again. Thanks Again you guys and also for this site being here.