• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 518 skidder dead engin need to tow to landing can’t get out of gear. Have auxiliary air to un lock brakes any suggestions.thanks

Have cat 518 log skidder with dead engin spun crank Bering.
need to tow up to landing, can’t get out of gear to role
have auxiliary air compressor to release the brake
still won’t role any suggestions, thanks

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
It should move. The torque converter should spin independently from the engine. It’s been a long time since I worked on a 518, but I’ve dragged them before. Maybe the crank shaft is catastrophic and the TC is jammed up. ?

Pull harder, She’ll come easy. That’s what I learned from the rigging crew.

It should move. The torque converter should spin independently from the engine. It’s been a long time since I worked on a 518, but I’ve dragged them before. Maybe the crank shaft is catastrophic and the TC is jammed up. ?

Pull harder, She’ll come easy. That’s what I learned from the rigging crew.
Hi,
well I got the machine back to shop pulled engine rebuilding now.
but with the braking system how can I release the air brakes? Like on a big truck I can cage the brakes to unlock them. Any ideas thanks

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
Can you unhook the discharge line from the compressor and hook shop air to it?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
The scratches on the plate make it difficult to interpret, but going in via the transmission S/N 1ZC01901 led me to a machine Serial Number of 95U02184, built June 1988.

So you can either apply external air, cage the parking brake, or remove the axle shafts. See attached that covers all three.

Attachments

• Towing.pdf
    317.7 KB · Views: 9