• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 910 Wheel Loader have tried everything:(

werk241

Loader Serial # 80U6085
Engine: 3204PC
Engine Serial #45V15990
Arrangement: 4N303
I am not sure of the year.
It is a wheel loader.

Here is my problem! I ran the loader out of fuel, filled it back up to the top. Tried starting it after hooking truck to starter and letting it turn over forever it finally cranked.

It will rev up full throttle but as soon as you let of the gas it dies.

I bled all of the lines, pulled the screen that is inline with the push primer it was full of trash.

also have put two new fuel filters on it.

All loader will do is run full throttle with little spit and sputter, still if you let off of gas it totally dies,

Also when full throttle I try and run the loader and when it is put into 1st gear it will barely go, 2nd gear bogs down even more and unless I am on a down slope will it let me go and stay running into third gear.

I do not know what else to try! It is useless due to power loss the way it is now.

Any help would be a life saver? Thanks to all!

INDREM

Occupation
Mechanic
What type of trash was in the screen, and is it possible it got into your system? I would pull your injectors and have them checked or rebuilt, or at least get a temp reading around your injectors so you can tell if you have cylinders that are not firing. It could also be your injection pump. Does it take a long time to start everytime? This machine is an early 80's model so I can understand not wanting to spend a ton of money. Check the temp around the injectors first to see if some of the temps are much lower than others. I don't do a lot of engine work, these are just some initial thoughts.

quackattak

how did it run before running out of diesel, there is a port on the injection pump to plumb a fuel pressure gauge into, that would be my next move.

Dirt Docter

if it ran ok before, i would take a air gun and blow though the tank to primer- pump side. might be there's so much junk in the tank that the suction tube is plugged with the junk that was in t
he screen.

werk241

The screen was as black as it could be with junk and everything else you could imagine. It ran fine before: idled, plenty of power and would crank without a problem.

I believe it is getting fuel from the tank cause when I take the line off of the primer pump it flows like crazy until I stick something in the end of it. I blew out all of the injector fuel lines like I say when I bleed them plenty of fuel seems to be coming out.

I have spent hrs every day trying to get this thing running cause when its not running no hay is being moved or sold that means no money!

Dirt Docter

maybe try just running a straight rubber line from a bucket to the fuel filter. its possible a piece of crap is stuck in the lift-pump check valve. also there may be a return fuel check valve on the injection pump and or the filter housing. a quick test to see if your fuel pressure is low is to pinch the return hose back to tank. be carefull not to pinch to hard. it's best to have a pressure gauge so you can watch so the pressure doesn't spike. if the engine will hold power you know you have a bad check valve in the system. quick check before going after major parts. remember it ran great before the tank went dry. pumps and injectors don't normally fail from running out of fuel

werk241

Okay here is the latest and greatest! I have fuel coming into all injecter lines when I bleed them. When tractor is running
I can crack three of the injectors and motor dies instantly. One of the injector lines makes the motor run no different when cracked. With that I bought the $50.00 cat (around 1 inch long) nozzle that has the inside screen that u cannot clean out. Put all of it back together and still have exact same problem that line when pulled does nothing but spit diesel out and does not change the way the motor runs. Is their something else that could be clogged further in past this spray nozzle? I believe I am getting plenty of fuel and I believe it has to be something past where that injector line goes in!

1mancompany

Hey Neighbor,

Definately sounds like a starvation problem of some sort. My first thoughs; im curious as to why it took so long to crank.

Did you prime the sytem with the primer first before cranking? Was or is it working?

Did you clean the screen before or after it started?

Have you pulled the screen again after it started to check for more debri?

Did you change the fuel filters before or after you started it?

What type of fuel filter do you have, Glass visable or sealed canister metal type?

As to the one injector,
is the whole assembly clear of obstrucion?

next it is possible the line to that injector is collapesed causing fuel starvation?

or could it be cracked allowing it to suck air and not fuel?

Most injectors have a copper or alluminum washer type seal some times these dont seal back properly after bleeding allowing it to suck air.

I know this started with a fuel problem but what about the air filter?

werk241

Primer seems to work fine when I take the lines off to bleed them it will pump fuel through all of them. I have put two different fuel filters and looked at the inline screen filter again last night and it is not dirty. Everything seems to be working up to where injector line goes into motor. Plentyof fuel comes out of the line when I take it off. While I was inside motor replacing that new injector screen nozzle piece(not sure of exact name of it) I made sure the inside final line was clear of dabri.
None of the lines look to be leaking everything around injector line connection is dry and nothing dripping out. Looked at the air filter when I pulled the top panels of of loader and it was fine no trash and it is fairly new. What is after the piece that I replaced that could have trash in it stopping fuel flow?

Bison

Occupation
Bison rancher
Seeing that there was crap in the fuel supply system,did you clean the last ditch screen in the inj pump inlet?.

If that checks out OK,it could be that either the lift pump or the inj pump transfer pump is not putting out(worn)

Bison

Occupation
Bison rancher
right under the Fuel inlet line screws in the IP(Inj Pump)fitting,you need to remove that fitting,the screen should be on the other end or it can be pulled out of the bore,depending on what IP you got(rotary or inline).

Bluox

Fuel problem

Pull all 4 of your fuel nozzles ,the new one & the other 3 and take them to your Cat shop and have them checked. Sounds like one may be bad.

Good luck,
Bob